FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cant Transcode to Prores4444 only ProresHQ? (MAC)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Royffe
Cant Transcode to Prores4444 only ProresHQ? (MAC)
on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:37:26 pm

Hi there,

Im trying to take large 40 minute Prores4444 files, edit the minute or so of clips i need in a timeline, then transcode those select clips. When i go to transcode I notice the Prores Quality level caps out at ProresHQ, and it seems Prores4444 is missing. Does anyone know why this is? I find it strange that I can EXPORT but not TRANSCODE to Prores4444.

On a separate note when I do transcode to ProresHQ, I notice avid makes 3 actual files on the drive. One MXF for video and 2 MFX for audio. Is there a way to have it make a single file that isnt an MXF, but just a Prores quicktime that I can also use in FCP?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Cant Transcode to Prores4444 only ProresHQ? (MAC)
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:40:36 pm

[Isaac Royffe] " When i go to transcode I notice the Prores Quality level caps out at ProresHQ, and it seems Prores4444 is missing. Does anyone know why this is?"

Avid doesn't support encoding to ProRes 4444 MXF. It caps out at ProRes HQ.

[Isaac Royffe] "I find it strange that I can EXPORT but not TRANSCODE to Prores4444."

You can export to ProRes 4444 QUICKTIME, as you have that encoder on your system. But there is no MXF support for ProRes 4444.

[Isaac Royffe] "On a separate note when I do transcode to ProresHQ, I notice avid makes 3 actual files on the drive. One MXF for video and 2 MFX for audio. Is there a way to have it make a single file that isnt an MXF, but just a Prores quicktime that I can also use in FCP?"

When you transcode using Avid, Avid creates Avid media. Avid media is MXF, and MXF typically is separate audio and video. If you want to use this footage in FCP...you need to use something else...such as FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Isaac Royffe
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:47:20 pm

Thanks Shane! That totally clears it up for me.

Big fan of your blog as well!

- isaac

Return to posts index

Kevin Downer
on Mar 20, 2014 at 8:48:02 pm

That is not entirely correct.

If you switch your Avid Project "Format" tab from "YCbCr 709" to "RGB 709" you can transcode to Prores 4444 MXF amongst other RGB MXF formats.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:25:57 pm

Well blow me down...I'm WRONG! not the first time.

yes, switch to REC 709 and BLAMMO, there it is.

SO glad people have my back...stop my misinformation from spreading.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:35:04 pm

And ypu should then export the result Same As Source. Don't do a Custom export to ProRes 4x4, as it means a needless re-encode using the Quicktime export engine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]