FORUMS: list search recent posts

Printing from Scriptsync

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david grantham
Printing from Scriptsync
on Mar 14, 2014 at 8:11:59 pm

I'm looking to print ScriptSync pages, inluding lined marks. The page setup doesn't give an option larger than Tabloid (11"x17"). The Scriptsync window however is spanning the full 20" width of my monitor, and I've used it all. It's turning out that I can't include the rightmost 3" of ,y scriptsync with any print settings, (Including shrink to fit and specifying scaling) ScriptSync can't seem to send that part to the printer. Suggestions welcome.

System Specs: MC 6.5.4
HP Z400, 6GB, Nvida Quadro 2000,ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Matrox MXO2 Mini; HPZR2240w & HPZR2440w

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Printing from Scriptsync
on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:03:27 am

Do a window screen grab and print that with shrink and scale?

Michael

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:39:18 am

thanks Michael.

That's what I've been doing, but with multiple pages it's a bit laborious.

I tried opening the project on a smaller screen hoping ScriptSync would scale itself down, but it didn't.

HP Z400, 6GB, Nvida Quadro 2000,ATTO express SAS R680 RAID Adapter, Atto Media00 SCSI Disk Device, Matrox MXO2 Mini; HPZR2240w & HPZR2440w

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:14:25 pm

Unfortunately that's the limitation of the current window design in that it is not a real "document" but more a version of a bin that allows a flattened text file to be loaded with very basic line insert/extract operations with no editing. But on the other hand it does not behave like a bin as a bin has a bit more control in printing, but not a whole lot more. I blogged about creating producer's notes pages from the script bin view (not script based editing view, I know, confusing).

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=90

Michael

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:11:38 pm

Helpful, Michael, slick.

I'd benefit from discussion about displaying with an MC workflow the comparative value of many different takes of many script events at a glance in one window or document, or on the timeline.

I had a system for doing it on the timeline in Premiere which relied on activating and deactivating stacked clips which I ranked by colour.

ScriptSync is a great leap in most ways. I'm heading to colour coding the line nodes on prints from ScripSync. Wondering how others do this - thought you might know of a discussion somewhere. I haven't found a good way to work on the timeline yet.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:31:41 pm

ScriptSync is one of those unique features to Media Composer that truly changes the way an editor approaches their material, especially when working with the director and producers. I was responsible for the original design of Script Based Editing back in the mid-late 1990's and again over 6 years ago in identifying that Nexidia technology could be used to automate the more laborious process of syncing takes to script.

Unfortunately (not from lack of trying), other than the phonetic transcript align function, the host (script based editing) has had no real update since the mid-late 90's other than a simple scroll features (keep slates on screen). The original and ongoing designs really had so much more this could do to assist the creative process. Some of them are patents I had filed while at Avid. What is not known, is if it will ever be developed to its full potential. While most of the limitations are in the host, there are challenges with performance based footage due to ad-libbing, and repeated pick up lines within a take that still take human interaction to correct or properly line-up. But if you follow the technology closely like I do, there are designs and solutions ways to make those better as well.

But the power of the script, transcript, and original media can be very powerful. We will see what Avid's future will hold at NAB. There has been a "vision" video that was done by Avid's CEO for investor community that spoke to the power of metadata and search. Perhaps they are coming back around to the original feature and benefits started many years ago.

Michael

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Mar 15, 2014 at 11:37:42 pm

Interesting history, thanks.

Must be frustrating to see unrealized potential but it's an incredible time saver just as it is - well done!

Looked at a few tutorials (Didn't discover them from the AVID site alone..)

Discovered that the take highlight colour can be changed. That's almost everything I need to match my former workflow.

It would be great to be able to annotate nodes with visible notes indicating angle, proximity, even sketches of camera movement... I will probably do that on my hard copies. (Messy, but with different colours of highlight I can make sense of these sorts of scrawls on scripts.)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 15, 2014 at 11:40:40 pm

In addition to color spans, you can make the squiggles for off-screen dialog. It is a great tool but you can also see how much more it could do with some TLC.

Michael

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Mar 16, 2014 at 2:59:57 am

Too bad choosing colour isn't part the highlight button...

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 16, 2014 at 1:48:09 pm

Lots of good stuff could be added. A better synergy between color spans and seeing them as spanned markers when loaded would also be good.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]