Re-link issue: Avid can't see drive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Humble
Re-link issue: Avid can't see drive
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:15:26 am
Last Edited By Peter Humble on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:19:52 am

Hi,

A recent FCP7 exile here and trying to navigate the change.
I'm having an issue with AVID not seeing my external drive.
I can navigate to it at the point of setting up a new project but just now I plugged the drive back in and all my media is offline.
When I click relink, I can't see my drive in the 'available drive' drop down list.
BTW, I'm trying to re-link clips that were previously "ingested" via AMA Link.

Re-linking media is doing my head in I must say compared to FCP. It seems that there's no way for you to re-link and navigate to individual clips. Is that right?
Can someone set my mind straight with the re-linking compared to FCP?

Thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Re-link issue: Avid can't see drive
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:43:13 pm

Just make a new bin and call it "AMA files" (the name is really irrelevant, but just name it something that makes sense). Then AMA link all your files again into that bin.

Two things "should" happen:

1) Avid should be smart enough and update your sequence and bring it online.

2) The original AMA files (from your old bin) may also update themselves and "come online." But, at this point the old files are not that important, unless you had associated some other metadata with them (sometimes that data will automatically carry to the new AMA clips, depending on which Avid version you are using).
---

If all else fails and your old sequence does not relink, you can manually relink the media like this: highlight all the new "online" AMA clips. Then right-click on your sequence (it can be in a different bin, that's OK, as long as the AMA files remain highlighted) and RELINK. Select "selected items in ALL open bins." In the relink options, choose "Tape Name or Source File Name."

---

[Peter Humble] "When I click relink, I can't see my drive in the 'available drive' drop down list."

If you can't see your drive, your probably referring to your system drive? If you are on a mac, the OS (by default) does not give Avid permission to use it, hence why it doesn't show up. To Fix that, see instructions here: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/101235.aspx

Also, just so you understand Avid terminology: "ingesting" only refers to creating MXF media, either consolidating/transcoding or capturing. AMA Linking, in the Avid universe, is not ingesting.

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:49:10 am

THanks Daniel,

I don't quite understand sorry....

[Daniel Frome] "Just make a new bin and call it "AMA files" (the name is really irrelevant, but just name it something that makes sense). Then AMA link all your files again into that bin."

Where do I make this bin? Do you mean re-name my source files folder to AMA Link? And AMA link "into" that bin? I thought AMA link as you said is just a link to native camera files.

Cheers,
Peter

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:52:18 am

[Peter Humble] "Where do I make this bin? Do you mean re-name my source files folder to AMA Link? And AMA link "into" that bin? I thought AMA link as you said is just a link to native camera files."

What I mean is:

- forget about your AMA files for a moment
- make a brand new bin (apple N)
- within in that bin, AMA link to all your files

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:59:42 am

Oh sorry I see....I was conflating bin with folder in the Finder. Cheers. I will try that.

Regards,
Peter

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:48:23 pm

Forget about relinking for the moment.

Can you navigate to and link via AMA to any media file on the drive ?

Sometimes the act of doing that will wake it up and it will find everything else.

If you can't, there are other troubleshooting steps, but try this first, as it's easy. Have your other bins open when you do it,

As an aside...it sounds like you are editing with media linked via AMA, rather than the "traditional" Avid media. Pretty much all these problems go away if you stop editing with AMA linked clips. The "rock solid" Avid media management everyone told you about will fall into place, and your head won't be spinning anymore (well, mostly, anyway).

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:56:06 am
Last Edited By Peter Humble on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:21:05 am

Thanks John,
Yes I was experimenting with editing purely via AMA.
I understand it's not recommended as the ideal.

I have another question then re the 'import' method

For eg, I'm currently working on a project in FCP with 2 editors on non-networked computers.
We both have copies of the media on our own drives and it's really easy to just email each other project file updates to view each others work.

So if I create my offline clips in Avid via 'import', all of these clips will now be sitting in 'AvidMediaFiles' folder on the Root level. So can I just pick this folder up and share it then share project files?
Something tells me I'm completely on the wrong track here.
In any case what would the workflow be for two seperate editors on non-networked computers as I described?

Thanks.
Peter

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 13, 2014 at 2:57:08 am

[Peter Humble] "So can I just pick this folder up and share it then share project files?
Something tells me I'm completely on the wrong track here.
In any case what would the workflow be for two seperate editors on networked computers as I described?
"

Yes. That should work fine. You probably won't even have to relink. When you launch Avid, it looks on all available drives for media databases (which are located in your Avid MediaFiles folder). You must maintain the folder structure and keep the Avid MediaFiles folder at the root level. If you each have identical projects, you can just share the bin that contains the updated sequence in it. Assuming someone doesn't add media the other doesn't have, you should be fine.

You can and should use AMA in most cases, rather than straight import. You link via AMA and transcode to your desired Avid resolution. Transcoding is often much faster than import.

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:33:44 am

Ok thanks for that.

So I'm still having issues with an external drive.
I'm on a Mac running MC7.0.3. My drive is formatted correctly and appears in my Finder no problem. I have full read/write access.
When I open Avid I can successfully create the pathway to this drive.
Also my media sits on this drive and there's no issue with AMA link.

However when I attempt to 'import' or AMA link then transcode, I can navigate to the drive and select the media no problem however my drive does not appear in the drop down option to send the transcoded files to.

I want to create the AVvidMediaFiles folder on my external drive, not on my computer. That's should be possible and reasonable workflow right?

Regards,
Peter

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:14:04 am

AMA linking isn't ingesting. Media isn't ingest until you consolidate (not all formats can be consolidated) or Transcoded.
The old legacy Import and tape capture directly ingest content.
So AMA linked media isn't inside the Avid media management as such so is easily unlinked when drives are moved etc. The fix is to re-AMA link those external sources to a fresh bin and then the original clips in other bins will relink.

As for the lack of ability to create media on an external drive (as opposed to creating your project there)This sounds like permission issues for sure.

You could try copying the Avid Media files folder at the root of your system drive to the new external drive and see if that copies ok and if you can then make media on that drive.
That would duplicate your avid media but if the test worked you just delete the 1 folder you copied over (and any other numbered folders in the MXF folder) on the external drive and re test.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
Re: -link issue: Avid can\\'t see drive
on Mar 13, 2014 at 2:17:57 pm

Thanks. Ive always understood that AMA is not actually ingesting. That's why I put it in inverted commas at the outset. I shouldn't have used that word sorry.
My problem remains being unable to access my drive to designate media creation. I will try what you suggested but just to make sure, when you talk of "permissions" you're talking about the read/write access when checking the "get info" on the drive? Or is there another type of permissions? On the computer or something else? As I mentioned I've definitely got read/write access on this drive.
Peter

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 13, 2014 at 2:33:27 pm

Taking it this is on a Mac.
Make sure at the root of the drive when you get info you have ownership and permissions turned off. That will leave the drive free of permission issues.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:15:34 am

Thanks Pat, yes I am on a Mac.

[Pat Horridge] "Make sure at the root of the drive when you get info you have ownership and permissions turned off."

So how do I do that? There's no option to turn permissions off. When I 'get info' I can only select 'Read/Write' or 'Read only'

Peter

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 14, 2014 at 2:56:03 am

[Peter Humble] "So how do I do that? There's no option to turn permissions off. When I 'get info' I can only select 'Read/Write' or 'Read only'
"

At the very bottom, there should be a checkbox that says "Ignore ownership on this volume". Check that.

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 14, 2014 at 4:56:59 am

Oh I see. Mine was locked, hence greyed out.
Will try.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:18:37 am

Its the ignore ownership tick.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:29:29 pm

"Oh I see. Mine was locked, hence greyed out.
Will try."

It's locked by default. Click the lock and it will ask for your Admin password, then you can change it.

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
Re: -link issue: Avid can't see drive
on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:53:49 pm

Hi,

Just got around to trying this.
Unfortunately this solution hasn't worked.

I still can't direct imported files to my external drive as AVID can't see it. (All permissions are now 'ignored')
The weird thing is when I click Import I can navigate to the files on my drive but I just can't choose to put the MXF files in the same location.
This is a massive limitation.
Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:23:59 am

Open the console in Avid (Cmd/Ctrl+6). Type "alldrives" without the quotation marks. Hit Enter. It should say something along the lines of "all drives now acting as media drives." You might need to restart Avid, but try to import something and see if you can select the external drive now.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 26, 2014 at 3:50:58 am

Thanks, I was excited to try this I was sure it would work but no luck unfortunately. It didn't work?

Anything else I can try?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 26, 2014 at 10:52:14 am

At this stage I'd test with a second external drive.
This is an OS or drive related issue for sure.

It is an HFS+ drive I assume (not FAT32 or NTFS?)

You could try re-formatting the drive and re-testing but easier to test on a second drive first.

I regularly get permission issues that are hard to fix. It seems the Apple GUI that allows you control of the drive permissions sit's on top of the underlying UNIX permission and I've had them go out of sync. The result is the Apple GUI shows permissions that the underling UNIX doesn't. Permission fixing often doesn't help. A reformat does.

Also have you tried deleting the Avid MediaFiles folder on that external drive. Then re try capturing to it.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Peter Humble
on Mar 26, 2014 at 11:15:04 am

Thanks pat,
The drive is os extended (journaled)
I have another drive, same formatting, where it is working no problem.
Ill try your suggestions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]