FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bringing Colour-Corrected Footage Back From Lustre

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Brueckner
Bringing Colour-Corrected Footage Back From Lustre
on Mar 5, 2014 at 8:00:09 pm

Hey guys, I haven't had much luck in finding any info online for this. I'm going to be sending some footage for colour correction soon. The place I'm sending to uses Lustre to colour and I was trying to pick a format to request back our footage. Does anyone know what formats Lustre can give back for Avid? Can it just be MXFs to drop into my MediaFiles folder?

Additionally, we have some punch-ins that I will need to re-create once the coloured footage is back. I was hoping to request 4k footage from colour (they will be doing the uprez themselves). I am on Avid 6.5 - will that even work?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Bringing Colour-Corrected Footage Back From Lustre
on Mar 5, 2014 at 8:07:22 pm

4k footage won't do you any good in Avid 6.5. Avid 7 could use FrameFlex, but not 6.5.

Regarding how it comes out of Lustre, I haven't used Lustre but what is very common is that your grading software will kick out the MXF media (With handles, discussed between you and your colorist) and an AAF that you'll drop into a bin and it'll contain your sequence. Of course, you'll want to A/B match for repositions and speed changes. But I'd say that's most likely the situation.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 5, 2014 at 8:07:33 pm

Assuming sources are 4K, they can make ProRes 4K and you can AMA to that, and do a relink conform based on Source File name. That way you have the resolution to work with for punch-ins after the color correction process. If they are making Avid MXF/DNxHD, then 1920x1080 is as high as it will get.

Michael

Return to posts index

Kevin Downer
on Mar 7, 2014 at 7:39:54 am

As Michael mentioned Prores 444 is your best bet for maintaining a high quality/resolution file that Avid can use. DPX renders are just not going to work in Avid unless you use the third party app Gluetools. Any other image sequence is just not worth the hassle as for the lack of Timecode metadata and eye matching.

Hopefully by NAB Avid will get DPX going as they seem to be "working on it"

Lustre can create Avid MXF files as well but limited to YUV codecs only and no RGB options.

You should check with your post house as Lustre requires a headless Mac to process the Prores files through their conversion app "Wiretap".

if they are running Flame Premium which has Lustre as part of their package, the Prores encoding is possible on their RedHat Linux station.

If it is Lustre standalone, no dice.

You could translate their provided dpx graded clip sequences yourself but that requires Resolve or some other conversion process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]