FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Picture VS...?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Schmitt
Moving Picture VS...?
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:28:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working with moving picture in my Avid but have always been a little frustrated with it because it's a third party program to Avid. One of my biggest pet peeves with it is, that you can't listen to music while working with it so it makes Editing to the beat very cumbersome.
Does anyone have some recommendations on an alternate effect that gives good results to a still frame move?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Moving Picture VS...?
on Mar 5, 2014 at 5:06:59 pm

Only option inside Avid is Pan & Zoom. Not as good as Moving Picture, as you cannot rotate the image. Avid FX is another option, but like Moving Picture, you do this outside of the Media Composer app. Avid claims that you can use Frame Flex (version 7 of MC), but that also doesn't allow rotation...amongst other limitations. This is something Avid really needs to work on. Using stills in projects is a major part of my workflow. MP really hinders me when I try to layer stills.

But pardon me, but how to you "edit to the beat" when doing moves on stills? Import the images, cut them into the timeline. ONce you get that down, then add the MP plugin onto it, or Pan & Zoom, or AvidFX.

But I do agree. MP is driving me nuts, P&Z is very limiting, and AvidFX...I've been too indimidated to open that and attempt anything. I'll have to try to get over that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dustin Schmitt
on Mar 5, 2014 at 5:32:42 pm

Thanks Shane.

It sounds like Avid needs to hire a team of experienced Editors to fix some of these problems that's driving their entire community nuts.
As far as "editing to the beat" goes, I should re-phrase that to "move to the beat".

Dustin

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:33:05 pm

It's also a third party product, so probably not a great answer to your question, but I still say if you have it, you can't beat After Effects. CS6 or above will import linked AAFs using Pro Import, and CS5.5 and older will import them using Automatic Duck (which is now available for free at http://www.automaticduck.com)

It will cache audio and play it back. Not great but it will do it. Still, it's quick, offers great options for dynamic movement, motion blur, resolution independent.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:04:13 pm

It's not my favorite interface, but AvidFX can do what you need.

Return to posts index

Steve Ascher
on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:22:27 pm

we used to use MP but now do moves in Apple Motion. Round tripping isn't hard and the interface is a lot more intuitive than Avid FX. Quality is good and the app isn't expensive. Can work with audio if you want and do all sorts of transforms.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]