FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA linking corrupt

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittney J. Butler
AMA linking corrupt
on Mar 2, 2014 at 1:59:41 am

So I am new to Avid. I ama linked my files but did not transcode. After working in avid and reallizing it would take too long for me to edit. I closed AVID and went into final Cut Pro 7. After I went into Final Cut Pro 7 I tried to edit and realized all the files that I subclipped in AVID didn't have sound in final cut. After trying to export QT through AVID so that I could use in final cut my files turned green and then said media offline.

Is there anyway I can regain my original files. When I go to the external where all the files are located they don't work anymore. Is there a way I can go back in time to get those files back? I do not have the footage backed up?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: AMA linking corrupt
on Mar 3, 2014 at 3:00:55 pm

AMA linking to the files doesn't actually do anything to the files. The original files should be the same as they were before you linked to them.

The qt's you created out of avid are probably in a codec that FCP can't recognize...perhaps an avid dnx codec?

If you are pointing FCP to the original files, on the external drive, and they are coming up green, there is a chance FCP can't work with that codec either. You haven't said what your original files are.

I would suggest going back to Avid. If you no longer have your AMA links, redo those and transcode the media, and continue on in Avid. If you still have working AMA links, start transcoding.

If you need to output for FCP, you will have to try a couple of different codecs untill you find one that works for you. In the end it will probably be quicker to transcode and stay in Avid. Outputting a whole bunch of of self contained quicktimes for use in FCP isn't going to be a fast process.

You could also try running your footage through Resolve and create proRes files, but again, it could take awhile, depending on your amount of footage.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Brittney J. Butler
on Mar 3, 2014 at 3:04:22 pm

The files were H.264. But the original files are now corrupt so I'm not sure if I can even work with them in AVID. They original files I. My external are now just green with no video or audio.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 3, 2014 at 3:08:06 pm

Unfortunately, that sounds more like a hard drive problem than anything else. Have you tried copying the files off the drive to a local location and then re AMA?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Brittney J. Butler
on Mar 3, 2014 at 3:09:31 pm

I haven't. I will try that. But I tried openingit up on a different computer and the files were still corrupt. But other files work on that same hard drive.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:55:55 pm

Where did these files come from? Camera masters from a DSLR? You should always have backups of camera masters. Never edit the originals.

Step 1: Back up camera masters to external "Archive" drive.
Step 2: Copy/transcode those masters to your Media drive. If using Avid, TRANSCODE...Avid doesn't edit H.264 smoothly at all. If Premiere or other app that edits H.274 native, then copy, and then import into system.

Not sure how Avid could corrupt those files...it doesn't modify them in any way.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brittney J. Butler
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:57:51 pm

Yea i got the steps now that it's too late. But yes it came from master files on an external. I'm not sure why it messed up the files either but I'm guessing there is no way to get them back. I tried to go back in avid to transcode the files but it was too late.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]