FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer 7- Project Window displays musical notes instead of text (Sibelius related bug?)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Coward
Media Composer 7- Project Window displays musical notes instead of text (Sibelius related bug?)
on Mar 1, 2014 at 8:59:38 pm

Hi guys.

After editing on FCP for about seven years or so, I am trying to run the Lynda.com course entitled “Avid Media Composer 7 - Essential Traning” on a Mac running OS 10.9.1 (Mavericks). So I am currently beginning the celebrated process of “reading the goddamn manual” as it were.

I downloaded the 30 day trial version of Avid MC7, installed it and started the Lynda.com course using my own assets. Everything seemed to work fine, but then I got irritated and upgraded to a premium Lynda.com account so I could get the lesson files to follow along properly.

When I open the lesson files in the application, all of the text in the project window (bins, settings etc) comes out in a bizarre font, mostly made up of musical notes (I’ve attached a screen grab of what it looks like), meaning that I can't read any of it. I moved the “Avid MediaFiles” folder to the route directory of my external drive as recommended, and I’ve tried downloading the exercise files zip file several times and unzipping it with various different archiving programs in case some corruption was happening during the unarchiving, but to no avail. The Lynda.com email tech support people are none the wiser.

I spent about an hour googling and perusing your rather splendid community here. The closest I could find was the possibility that Sibelius fonts are being substituted for the Avid ones due to a bug in the software, as apparently Sibelius users have been reporting a similar problem the other way around on Mavericks, but I found no-one who appeared to have encountered this issue on Media Composer- indeed Avid have bombastically claimed that MC7 fully supports OS 10.9.0 and 10.9.1.

The issue only crops up when firing up the Lynda.com exercise files; the project I created on my own beforehand displays text as expected. I tried to open my initial project to see whether I might be able to access the bins from the Lynda.com files from within that project, but even though my “homemade” project opened fine, the minute I opened a bin from the Lynda exercise files, the requisite bin window simply displayed the same gobbledygook.

Any ideas gratefully received…

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Media Composer 7- Project Window displays musical notes instead of text (Sibelius related bug?)
on Mar 1, 2014 at 11:28:40 pm

With the project window active, go to the EDIT menu and change the font to something else to see if that takes care of it.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jamie Coward
Re: Media Composer 7- Project Window displays musical notes instead of text (Sibelius related bug?)
on Mar 2, 2014 at 10:15:31 am

Yes that's sorted it! Thanks Michael that's a great help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]