Offline/Online Workflow with Mixed Compression Types

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olaf Steel
Offline/Online Workflow with Mixed Compression Types
on Feb 28, 2014 at 11:44:06 pm
Last Edited By Olaf Steel on Feb 28, 2014 at 11:47:07 pm

Dear forum,

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I did do a google and Creative Cow search, and got nothing, but could have been using poor search terms.

My question is this: I'm about to work on an edit that was started by someone else. The project contains media that was transcoded at DNxHD 175x, DNxHD 115, and DNxHD 36 (a result of running out of hard drive space as the project grew).

Once the edit is complete, I will want to relink to the original raw media and create a sequence of high res clips (presumably all DNX 175x) for online editing.

Will there be any issues when trying to do this, since the sequences currently contain three different compression types? What are the recommended steps?

It may be worth pointing out that the original raw media has been moved to other drives than where it was when it was originally transcoded.
And all media was transcoded, not consolidated, resulting in the .new extension on clips.

I'm working on an iMac and a Terrablock server for storage of all AVID media & projects.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Offline/Online Workflow with Mixed Compression Types
on Mar 1, 2014 at 12:22:09 am

Won't matter at all. The codec doesn't affect the metadata needed to relink back to camera originals or higher rez media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Mar 1, 2014 at 12:24:19 am

Great, thats a load off my mind - thanks!
I'm assuming the new location of the raw media won't be a problem either? As long as I know where it is and can point AVID to it, it should relink fine, right?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 1, 2014 at 1:01:27 am

Yes, you will be able to relink.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 1, 2014 at 4:52:49 pm

When you are ready to relink, take your working media offline. (move it up one level, outside of the MXF folder is usually the easiest way.

Create a new bin called Linked clips
ama link to everything you will need...do it all if in doubt, and place all those links into the "linked clips" bin.

open your offline sequence

Select all the clips in your linked clips bin, right click on your sequence and select relink.
in the relink settings, select "relink to all selected clips on open bins" (thats the links you just created)
deselect "only link to clips from current project" You may have to play with the options for linking based on tape name/file name, as well as the number of characters at the end of the filename for avid to ignore.

i also tell avid to ignore extension

It is worth noting that every now and then i relink and only some of the clips relink...if this happens, try hitting relink again without changing anything in the settings. I have had this work quite a bit lately.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Mar 4, 2014 at 3:31:11 pm

Great, thanks so much for all your help. It looks like a simple enough workflow.
I'll report back if there are any issues.

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Apr 27, 2014 at 2:54:21 am

I will add only one small comment as I agree with what the others have said.

All this will work assuming that your workflow was:

AMA link to camera file > transcode to various DNx media.

You did not explicitly say that you started with an AMA link. If you did classic import then life will be a bit more painful .....

Jef

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]