FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 Is there a way of adding info to the Source File Column

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe Westley
MC6 Is there a way of adding info to the Source File Column
on Feb 27, 2014 at 3:51:45 pm

Hi everyone

I have just received my first batch of rushes and in the AAF file there is no data in the Source File column, is there a way of amending this in Avid?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: MC6 Is there a way of adding info to the Source File Column
on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:10:02 pm

Is there a tape name? I'd contact your lab to find out how they prepared these dailies, since obviously they're going to have to be conformed at some point. With Alexa, I know they store an 8 digit reel name in addition to a 20 digital file name, but because of how the Avid stores that information, if there's a reel name it doesn't store the source file name. One workaround I see done, is they'll store the 20 digit source file name in the Cam Roll column. That's just one way of doing it.

This link explains that difference between the 8 digit reel name and the source name.

http://www.jackjonescolourist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/alexa_filename...

But to answer your question, I'd contact your lab as the first step.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:19:09 pm

Hi Richard

thanks for your reply. They are shooting on the Alexa and there is info in the Tape column. Its the first part of the file name A009R2SE . The MXF files I am receiving are generated through Davinici Resolve. Will the Tape ID column be enough for the conform? Obviously i'll be changing all the file names to the slate.

thanks

Zoe

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:37:46 pm

Are you getting your dailies from a lab or from a DIT? First step, is I'd ask them. Then, I'd contact who's going to be doing your conform. Finally, as a test I'd cut clip into a sequence and make a test EDL like that article lays out. If you have the information of the 20 character file name, there's no reason why you should't have a smooth conform, but again, I'd always check with who you're going to deliver to.

Likewise, on the last film I worked on, our lab was fairly inconsistent about providing us with ALEs with the Sound Roll information. We'd have dailies with Sound TC burn, but no Sound Roll or Sound TC on the actual clips. That could cause problems for dialogue editing. I'd check on that as well.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:53:34 pm

HI Richard

The dailies are coming from a DIT. We don't know who will be doing the conform at the moment. I already did a test EDL and the Tape ID comes up no problem however the the 20 character file name does not follow through, because i needed to change the name to the slate .... hence my question about is there a way of adding the info to the Source File column. Ideally i would like to duplicate the Name column into the source file column prior to any other logging. Is there a way to do this?

I always check all my metadata and amend as necessary :)

Thanks

Zoe

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:01:23 pm
Last Edited By Richard Sanchez on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:01:47 pm

No, you can't modify the Source File name column. I'd put it in the Cam Roll column or create a custom column for it.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:09:31 pm

Good idea, thanks :)

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:14:10 pm

Anytime!

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:22:59 pm

Quick answers and reality check:

1. Only AMA linking or using DMF to a file will populate the Source File Column.

2. Any application outside of Avid can only put source reel ID into the TAPE column. Even when licensing Avid own AMT. See #1.

3. From a conform perspective, it does not matter whether the filename is in the Source File to Tape column. EDL's, AAF, and will export the information as needed and third party conform systems have been updated to know this when AMA was first introduced 4 or so years ago.

4. The only conform issue you will have is if the conform is to be done in Media Composer (versus any other application) via AMA as AMA does not extract the 8 character REEL ID that is currently being inserted by the DIT. This has been a long time request for Avid to address, but the QuickTime AMA plug-in only extracts timecode from within the file. Check with whomever is doing the conform. AMA will be problematic but can have some additional workaround steps - any other application will be fine.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]