FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is anyone using MediaLog still....

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Clarendon
Is anyone using MediaLog still....
on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:46:52 am

Hi all. Is Avid MediaLog still used to log footage these days? Most producers I know screen off files or even dvd's with burned tc and just use Word files to type out notes. Just curious about MediaLog since I can find not a peep about people using it these days.

BTW, I ask because, though I dont use it, it use to be able to be used in an off-line mode so logging could be done without a deck.

Any input appreciated, as always...

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Is anyone using MediaLog still....
on Feb 27, 2014 at 2:29:32 am

I blogged on MediaLog back in November:
http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=103

Michael

Return to posts index

Steve Clarendon
on Feb 27, 2014 at 1:35:53 pm

Very interesting Michael. And very astute as well. I haven't had a need to use it myself but I seem to recall that it worked off line as well - i.e. no deck control.

A friend of mine will be logging tv shows and movies that are ingested from tape into a server - frequently lo rez. She will be given DVD's with burned in time code. Since these are tape based sources could she still work in MediaLog offline (no deck control) as long as her sources are named correctly? Is it possible for the clips in her offline bins to actually link somehow to online media?

Thanks again for your response.

Steve

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 27, 2014 at 1:58:16 pm

Your best bet for that to "possibly" work is to create the project/bin at the ingest side with Media Composer, then bring that and open it in MediaLog and continue logging from there. This way you are assured that that TAPE IF. and related MOBs are correct for relinking later. From their, your friend can add to the existing clips, but I don't think they will be able to subclip in MediaLog. They can choose from the exiting "tape" names that were created and log from there, and that should work.

It is a little tedious to be bouncing back and forth between the Capture Tool to make a clip, then back to the bin to log the additional data.

Something to consider is using something like Excel with the right column names as well as exact match on Tape name which can easily be turned into an ALE then merged back into to the clips that were created upon ingest. The merge process could create subclips for every event in the ALE file.

Avid offers Interplay and their Assist tools for this type of work. If that is not part of your infrastructure, then there is not a whole lot other than getting a 30 day free trial of media composer and a copy of the ingested media to work with. At least for 30 days... ;)

Michael

Return to posts index

Steve Clarendon
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:15:20 pm

Thank you for all the input. I was wondering about excel as well. All good info, Michael. Thanks again.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]