FORUMS: list search recent posts

media management and multiple workspaces/MXF folders

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathryn Cates
media management and multiple workspaces/MXF folders
on Feb 23, 2014 at 1:47:04 am

Hello all,

I am working on a long-form project on MC 5.5 using Unity. I am being given DNX36 MXF files from the dailies colorist. They are easily identified as the video track vs. the multiple audio tracks. I initially dragged everything into one media workspace.

Now I am being advised to separate the audio tracks to a dedicated audio workspace in order to avoid cluttering up the media workspace and allow everything to run faster. I have done this on a test clip, allowed the media databases to rebuild, and the audio tracks for that clip now show as offline in my project. Relink fails.

So, my questions are 2:
1. what are best practices for managing this amount of media? I am at the beginning of a much larger project and want to keep media manageable and accessible.
2. why do my master clips show the audio as offline and fail to relink to the when I move the audio tracks to the audio workspace? How can I fix this? I don't think consolidate is the answer - I thought it was a simple matter of moving the audio media files and letting the databases track it down.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: media management and multiple workspaces/MXF folders
on Feb 23, 2014 at 8:22:44 am

Why not use consolidate as that's what it's there for? Unless there are extenuating circumstances all media management should be done within Avid, not manually dragging around files in Finder.

Return to posts index

Kathryn Cates
on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:13:04 pm

Hi Andrew - thanks for advice. Agreed - consolidate seems ideal, but to be honest I haven't had much occasion to need to consolidate media in the past, so it makes me a little nervous (perhaps irrationally so) - especially as there are a) other editors working in the project and b) subclips involved.

The extenuating circumstances in question, such as they are, are that the consolidated audio .mxf files have new names (obviously) and the initial .mxf files I was given were named so elegantly and obviously that I don't want to change the names if I can avoid it. And I have my doubts that replacing the new consolidated media with the old (better-named) audio .mxf files in the audio workspace would result in a successful relink. (This is where my knowledge of how Avid understands relationships between media and master clips begins to fail me.)

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:46:30 pm

Perhaps i'm not totally understanding your workflow, or at what stage you are at in the project, but why would you consolidate your media before you are done editing. Don't you want access to everything during the edit?

If you want some organization, i would perhaps break your media up by day shot, or week shot, or something like that. I personally wouldn't break up the audio and video.

Also at dnx36, you must have tons of media before it becomes taxing on your system drives...especially on a unity style system.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kathryn Cates
on Feb 23, 2014 at 4:20:16 pm

Thanks, Glenn. Yes, definitely want to access the media! Just trying to find a way to move media to another workspace and have Avid recognize it and not sure why it's not happening. And yes, the level of hangup I am getting from the drive at this stage is starting to feel like a problem as well...

Return to posts index

Kathryn Cates
on Feb 23, 2014 at 11:23:04 pm

So it turns out that the entire problem was actually an exceedingly basic issue of corrupt database files. Deleting those files on the source and target drives not only sped everything up, but automatically relinked the master clips to the (moved) audio files. Frankly, probably should have tried that first.

Am curious about Andrew's suggestion, though, that working at the Finder level is a bad idea. Do I really have to go through Media Mover just to move media files to a new location without consolidating?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:42:47 am

[Kathryn Cates] "Am curious about Andrew's suggestion, though, that working at the Finder level is a bad idea. Do I really have to go through Media Mover just to move media files to a new location without consolidating?"

I'm glad the problem was a simple fix though I'm confused by the reluctance to use the consolidate function. I use it all the time to move media between different workspaces on the ISIS, to and from external hard drives, etc.,. It's very straight forward and I find it to be much quicker and more reliable than manually moving MXF files and then doing a relink (I never used Media Mover).

Doing a consolidate and selecting "delete original media files when done" will move data from Point A to Point B (as opposed to copying data) but sometimes I'm skittish so I uncheck that box. With that box unchecked a "copying media files" dialog box pops up and I'll select "relink master clips to media on the target drive" and that will have my master clips link to the media at Point B and it will create another set of master clips ending in ".old" that will link to the media at Point A. When the consolidate is complete and I've verified that everything went okay I'll delete the ".old" master clips plus all the associated media and that will get rid of the media at Point A (so I don't have unwanted duplicate media taking up space).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]