FORUMS: list search recent posts

ingesting video into Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lor Porter
ingesting video into Avid
on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:25:37 pm

Original video shot on Sony camera with some kind of card (trying to get specifics now). I have MP4 files that when I try to import are not supported. I have to convert them over to mov files.. First is that ok... second am I losing quality? Third - is there an easier way?? I've downloaded the sxs driver I was told I needed... and I am not sure what to do next.

Any help you could offer is greatly appreciated!
Lori I'm running MC 3.5

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: ingesting video into Avid
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:01:53 pm

Do you just have the MP4 files? You need the whole card structure in order to properly bring in that footage if it came from an SxS card.

Also, since you're on MC 3.5. You really should consider upgrading, since the AMA features of MC 4 and above will make this footage much easier to bring in and transcode.

This link describes a method of bringing the footage in without AMA, since you don't have it on version 3.5

http://blog.davidesp.com/archives/278

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:20:20 pm

Hi Richard - I do have all the information... it's all things in each clip folder - I have the mp4, SMI, PPN, XML and BIM.

I know about upgrading... I just don't have the funds right now...

BUT - it's not from an XD cam - I have no problems using the AMA with XD cam - I use that all the time. I do have it that feature.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 21, 2014 at 9:01:19 pm

Does Resolve Lite play the files? If so, you can transcode to native MXF wrapped DNxHD and take it from there.

Michael

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:26:13 pm

Thank you Michael - I'll try that too.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 21, 2014 at 9:50:46 pm

You mentioned cards and the SxS driver. That sounds like XDCAM EX, which usually comes from an EX1 or EX3 camera (As opposed to the XDCAM Optical Discs) Is this correct?

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:25:37 pm

Yes Richard, Sorry - I got confused. It's the XDCAM-EX intraframe codec.PMW-EX1, the PMW-EX3 - yes.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 22, 2014 at 12:35:00 am

You may also be able to use the Sony Content Browser software and rewrap as MXF if needed.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

Michael

Return to posts index

Brendan Charles
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:18:04 pm

MPEG Streamclip has yielded pretty good results when converting MP4 files for me. You could try converting to .MOV with the Animation codec, or ProResHQ for minimal loss of quality. The files will be much larger, but at least you will have an easier time ingesting them into AVID and with not much loss of quality.

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:42:29 pm

Thank you Brendan,

I converted them all to mov clips - in movavi converter. I just don't know if it "chaged" the video - since I'm not sure what the original looked like. I took FOREVER to bring into the avid (there is a lot of video) - but the ingest was a little over 24 hours.

I just downloaded MPEG Stream clip - just in case I need to go back and do that for the producer.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Lori

Return to posts index

Brendan Charles
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:55:16 pm

Not sure what your workflow is like- but in the future couldn't you just AMA link the clip, then transcode your sequence so you really only import/transode only what you use of that file, instead of importing the whole thing.

Return to posts index

Lor Porter
on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:02:28 pm

Ah - I see, you mean edit to the timeline from the device (don't ingest the footage) and then when timeline is complete - just link and only bring in what I used. Good idea - but I don't think I have that AMA feature. I thought I did - but someone said I didn't. For my version. I have yet to upgrade due to finances. But hopefully the work will keep steady and I'll be able to get the new MC with a whole new tower and nitrous box.

For now, I've been bringing in all my footage into a bin and then editing accordingly.

Thanks again for your help.
Lori

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]