FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid interplay/isis? Should i learn them?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Milling
Avid interplay/isis? Should i learn them?
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:47:48 pm

Hi Guys and Gals, i can edit on Avid easily, however all of my edits so far have been one system setup, so usually capturing to a internal drive. Since going freelance ive seen a few things appear for Interplay and/or Isis and i have search for advice, but cannot really see any difference between them and just wondering if anyone could shed any light on them!

My questions

1) What is the difference between Isis and Interplay?
2) Do you capture directly to one of these or do you do it through avid
3) Should i learn this software? (im bordering between editor and assistant)
4) Any other advice about these pieces of software i might have missed and any links you might have would be great!

Thank you again. Im finding it hard to learn this type of thing as they are both very specific and its not like there a millions of youtube videos explaining the software!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid interplay/isis? Should i learn them?
on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:02:50 pm

[Ricky Milling] "Since going freelance ive seen a few things appear for Interplay and/or Isis"

Typically the assistant editors deal with managing those systems. Or the IT guy...never the editors.

[Ricky Milling] "1) What is the difference between Isis and Interplay?"

Not sure...I'll let someone else answer that.

[Ricky Milling] "2) Do you capture directly to one of these or do you do it through avid"

ISIS is basically a server with shared storage...that you allocate a certain amount of drive space to, and can password protect it so you only allow editors to mount certain drives. Basically it's just storage. Once you mount the drives, you can capture and import to them like any hard drive.

Currently we have 4 projects going on where I work, and we only mount the drives we need for one project at a time.

[Ricky Milling] "3) Should i learn this software? (im bordering between editor and assistant)"

Not unless you are required to...editors rarely are. I haven't a clue how to manage an ISIS (or Unity...it's predecessor), but I've used them for over 10 years. That is the realm of the assistant editor, or IT dept.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ricky Milling
Re: Avid interplay/isis? Should i learn them?
on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:31:57 pm

Hi, thanks for the information. I actually found a great little youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnK7ddZJw_c) which broke down what interplay is. Its very good but not for what i need.

I am looking to move from small time editing (mainly corporate and stand alone shows) to more networking larger productions where ISIS is needed and i might need to drop down to a assistant level for the time being, whilst i learn the ropes as i know they are two completely different worlds!

I think i will look in to getting some ISIS training and thank you for pointing out that Unity was the old version, that would have confused me!

Ricky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]