FORUMS: list search recent posts

Superimposing an image over video cut in Avid MC - better to execute in Avid or AfterEffects?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Kelly
Superimposing an image over video cut in Avid MC - better to execute in Avid or AfterEffects?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:47:51 pm
Last Edited By Matt Kelly on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:48:48 pm

Hi there,

I'm cutting an HD film on Avid MC 6.5, and I've been asked to replace a painting on a wall with another one. It's not complicated so I was going to superimpose a new image over it.

I also have AfterEffects CS6 at my disposal. I think I can just do this in Avid, but I'm wondering, would it be best to do this in AE and export a new QuickTime file that I can import into Avid, or is that a lot of extra work for no benefit?

I ask because in the past, I've worked with people on other projects cut on FCP, and they always did their effects (even simple ones) on AE and created a new QT file to use in FCP. Supposedly, FCP couldn't do the effect as well, or it was tougher for it to process. I'm wondering if the same logic should apply with Avid?

FWIW, I'm not a full-time editor or FX person, but I do a little bit on the side when it's a small project or nothing very complicated. I'm largely self-taught though, so even though I can do a lot of these simple tasks easily, I probably have huge gaping holes in my knowledge of both programs as I was never given a full, comprehensive education on both.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Superimposing an image over video cut in Avid MC - better to execute in Avid or AfterEffects?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:02:57 pm

I would probably take it into After Effects. Personally, i would use avid for "offline" versions of these kind of effects. Get your timing down in Avid, make sure everyone is happy, but for final FX just doing an image in PIC in PIC, or using animate to key it in, might not be your optimal final product. You'll find so much more control in something like After Effects with regards to masking and feathering that image into the shot...including transfer modes that Avid does 't do natively.

You might want to look into AvidFX as well, it may get you there- i don't use it so i can't speak to it.

A lot of times these shots seem easy, until you start putting it together and then you discover that it just isn't working.

It does also come down to quality you are looking for in the final effect as well.

Avid is a great editor..and does ok in some effects work.
After effects doesn't pretend to be an editor, but kicks ass in effects work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Superimposing an image over video cut in Avid MC - better to execute in Avid or AfterEffects?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:53:57 pm

Like Glenn says, I'd take this into After Effects. In fact, using Mocha in conjunction with a script called "Mocha ImportPlus" will make your life much easier.

http://aescripts.com/mochaimport/

The script is $40 but again, it will make your life a world easier, especially if the shot is shaky.

If you haven't used Mocha, have a look at this tutorial.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Matt Kelly
on Feb 19, 2014 at 7:07:19 pm

Thanks for the replies, they definitely clear things up!

I will check out Mocha too - there were definitely occasions in the past where doing something like this on a moving or shaky shot would've been great, but I wasn't certain if it was possible to do something that could look right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]