FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID v7 keyboard PC to Mac

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MartinJohn Harris
AVID v7 keyboard PC to Mac
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:17:33 am

For a new large project the producer is hiring a PC based AVID v7. I'm used to working with a Mac based system, 2 command keys next to both sides of the space bar. The PC based Avid v7 has the command keys in slightly different places to the Mac keyboard I'm used to. I think this is going to be a big problem as I use a lot of short cuts using command key.

How do I modify the command keys on a PC Avid to be in same position as on a Mac Keyboard? ie I want to have 2 command buttons next to either side of the space bar (I'm left handed and constantly use the command key on the right side of the space bar)

thanks

Martin

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVID v7 keyboard PC to Mac
on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:16:10 pm

There are OS widgets and apps that allow you to remap keys. A quick Google came up with this:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6184/how-can-i-switch-option-alt-a...

There may be others.

Michael

Return to posts index

MartinJohn Harris
on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:27:39 pm

Thanks Michael, I'll have a look through that. Do you know anyone who's done this before? I'm quite nervous of running a project on a PC system, I've had some poor experiences in the past. If I can turn it into a MAC then I'll shed my anxieties!
cheers
M

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:10:57 pm

I run both a PC and a Mac with no real preference for either one. It depends on which tools I needed at the time. The project, bins, and media moved back and forth seamlessly (AMA is another issue, so transcode or consolidate). I never used any of the keyboard switch apps as I just trained myself to be comfortable on either system. Kind of like playing two slightly different instruments.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:13:13 pm

Also, I post supervise the Directors Lab at Sundance, where the systems are PC, but many of the editors are Mac trained and I have offered switching their keyboards, but then they just get into it and I never hear of the issue again. It's certainly worth a try if it makes you more efficient. You can always uninstall it if it doesn't work for you.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]