FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID Codecs 2.3.9 for Windows has no Alpha?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Gilmour
AVID Codecs 2.3.9 for Windows has no Alpha?
on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:25:35 pm

I'm running Windows 7 with AVID's codecs, version 2.3.9, and no matter what combination of settings I set in After Effects, I can't get a quicktime file with an alpha channel. I've made sure to set RGB+Alpha as well as selecting either "compressed" or "uncompressed" in the Avid codec dialogue box. However every time I export a file using an Avid codec, no alpha channel comes through. I can get an alpha channel with any other codec ie: jpg2000, animation, etc.

Anyone else having this issue? Is there a bug in this version?

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: AVID Codecs 2.3.9 for Windows has no Alpha?
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:51:26 pm

I don't believe Avid Codecs support alpha.

Ricky

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:42:36 pm

The do support alpha.

Make sure you have millions + and not millions of colors selected.

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:04:04 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply's! Just to make sure I'm not going insane, I took screen grabs of what I'm doing with the result. They show me creating a simple comp, setting to Millions+, and adding the alpha in the Avid codec box. After rendering, the file has no alpha channel. The attached pics show exactly what I did. Am I missing something?

Result:

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:16:58 pm

I believe "Unmatted" is what you want but you might try matted - That was what stumped me when going to Avid...but I also used a different codec because I thought I read DNxHD did not support alpha from AE - glad to hear from John that they do - I will need to experiment now!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:27:14 pm

We use DNxHD codecs with all our work coming out of AE and it works with alpha. The 444 codecs are for RGB projects. Try a DNxHD resolution that is not 444, unless you are working in an RGB project.

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Feb 11, 2014 at 5:33:45 pm

Great tip! It worked using DNxHD 220 8 bit with an uncompressed alpha channel. That will work for now, but I'm still curious about why I can't get a 444 codec exported with an alpha? I really prefer to have everything coming out of AE as uncompressed as possible since it will ultimately get compressed at least 1 or 2 more times by final delivery.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Feb 11, 2014 at 5:38:19 pm

There is a 10 bit version of 220 to use.

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]