FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unlinking a Clip In the timeline

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zora Matthews
Unlinking a Clip In the timeline
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:01:16 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm quite new to the avid media composer 6 software and i'm trying to get a grasp on how things work. I wanted to know how to unlink a clip in the timeline. I've tried pressing the shift button and the letter L together but that only highlights and unhighlights the link selection button above the smart tool but it does not actually unlink the clip in the timeline which is what i want to do. Can anyone help me?

Kind Regards

Zora

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Unlinking a Clip In the timeline
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:21:24 pm

There's no way to unlink just an event (clip) in the timeline unless you want to unlink the entire source clip that it belongs to. If the latter works for you, then highlighting the master clip in the bin, hold down control+Shift and what used to say "Relink" in the clip will now be "Unlink". Select and master clip will unlink from the media, but not delete the media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Zora Matthews
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:10:21 pm

Hi Micheal

Thank you for replying back I followed the instructions you gave me but a message said 'media offline' and the footage hasn't separated in the timeline. how do i separate the audio and the video using avid media composer 6 I was able to do it in the past using Final Cut Pro but it doesn't seem to be working in Media composer 6.

Kind Regards
Zora

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:42:44 pm

Maybe we're thinking two different things. I thought you wanted to remove the media from the clips. It sounds that you want to separate picture from sound on the source clips? Depending on what your eventual goal is, here are two ways to do it:

1. This is the subclip process. Load clip in source monitor, turn off the tracks you do not want to keep, mark IN-OUT on the range you want to have (or entire clip) and you can drag the clip icon above the monitor into a bin. Or you can option-click or alt-click (Wndows) the image itself in the source monitor and drag to a bin. There's also a dedicated subclip button from the tool palette you can map if you plan on doing a lot of this.

2. If you are doing this to prepare syncing of double system sound and want to remove audio from the existing clips. then you can just do this as part of the sync process. In the AutoSync dialog box there is an option to keep audio on source video clip, just don't check that and the resulting clips will have scratch audio removed and doiuble system audio attached. You can also define which range of the BWF tracks you want to keep such as MIX track only. For example, if MIX was on A1, you would select the range to be A1-A1 and that would be the only track used.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:54:36 pm

Also, you can unlink a master clip's reference to its media files without subclipping using the unlink/relink method. I did a blog on that for clips referenced via AMA, but the steps apply to non-AMA clips as well and be read here:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=50

Michael

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:07:37 pm

Just have to uncheck the link button in the timeline and you can move the clips independently of each other, that's the default behavior in MC. Unless I'm misreading your situation.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:32:28 pm

I think Neil nailed it. Audio and video, in the timeline, aren't linked, unless that option is selected. I'm so used to having it off so I can move things independently, I often forget it is an option.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Zora Matthews
on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:49:55 pm

Hi Micheal

Thank you so much for your advice i really appreciate it! In the end I chose the first method and it worked! thank you once again!

Kind regards

Zora

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]