FORUMS: list search recent posts

problem linking footage with trial version

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Ferguson
problem linking footage with trial version
on Feb 5, 2014 at 3:00:54 pm

Hi All,

Im new to media composer and got myself the Editing Essentials manual to learn the program. Im using the trial version of MC7 on a PC and I've been primarily a Mac user. When going through the lesson book and trying to review the footage from the trail CD all of the media was offline. I tried to relink with no success and I tried the option of "show file" it wasn't showing up. I tried making the access to the media as simple as possible by having it all on the desktop but still not working. Does anyone have an idea on what I might be doing wrong?

Matt W. Ferguson

Video Editor

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: problem linking footage with trial version
on Feb 5, 2014 at 5:12:25 pm

Couple of issues may be hurting you.

Your media has to be in a very specific place. The desktop, unfortunately is not that place.

Go to your main media drive. (you should not use your boot drive for media, but should instead of a dedicated space for media)

On that drive, if there isn't already an Avid MediaFiles folder, make one. Inside that make an MXF folder. Inside that make a 1 folder. (just the number 1).

This brings us to the second thing that may be hurting you. What type of media are you talking about? Prepared Avid .mxf files that you are just trying to use? (that is the only way relink is going to work) Or quicktimes you are supposed to import and use? If it is .mxf media, copy those into that 1 folder you made earlier. If its quicktimes, ignore the first few paragraphs I just wrote, select file import, and point Avid to those quicktimes. It will then automatically prepare all the folder structures for you.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 5, 2014 at 5:25:17 pm

And not just any .mxf can be dragged into the Avid MediaFiles/MXF folder structure. Those that don't work can be access via the MXF AMA plu-in.

Michael

Return to posts index

Matt Ferguson
on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:47:06 am

Hi Michael,

They are all .mxf files from the Avid learning Series user certification manual. I didnt have this issue when I used the footage on the mac and from how the book describes the lessons it seems like it was designed to be used on Mac and PC.

Matt W. Ferguson

Video Editor

Return to posts index

Matt Ferguson
on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:44:13 am

Hi Glenn,

I moved the media to an external drive (only thing available at the moment) and from the Avid learning series disk it had two foldes; "Avid mediafiles" and "MC6 Editing Book Files". Within "Avid MediaFiles" was the file structure MXF=>0101,0102,0103,0104 folders, all files in .mxf format.

Still having the issue with connecting the footage. It seemed to work fine when I did it on my Mac but im not too PC savvy.

Matt W. Ferguson

Video Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 6, 2014 at 1:23:44 pm

You need to make sure the Avid MediaFiles folder in its entirety is at the root level of your media drive. Another thing to be aware of, and I don't think they tell you this, is that the when files comes of optical media they are "read only". Make sure that once you copy both folders to their appropriate locations that you set them to be Read & Write". Especially the project and bins folder.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 5, 2014 at 7:02:02 pm

Please describe,how the tutorial footage is organized on the CD (I am particularly interested in the folder structure)

Return to posts index

Matt Ferguson
on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:53:18 am

Hi John,

here's the folder structure of the footage that came on the Avid Learning Series DVD.

1) Avid MediaFiles=>MXF=>4 folders (0101, 0102, 0103, 0104)=> within the folders all .mxf folders.

2) MC6 Editing Book Files=>Additional Project Media, MC6 Editing Projects, Training User

Matt W. Ferguson

Video Editor

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:38:38 pm

Look in your 4 folder that you've copied to your external drive.

Is there a .mdb file in there. When Avid scans the folder for media, it will build its database file. Among all the .mxf files that came with the CD, Avid should be building two brand new files so that it can ID and work with the media. One is .mdb, the other is .pmr.
If those files don't exist, than Avid has not scanned the drive properly. If that folder is set to read only, Avid can't build its database inside that drive. Double check that the folder Avid MediaFiles is typed correctly, check the caps vs lower case and spaces. I know it came from them, but stranger things have happened. I helped someone a couple of weeks ago who was at an Avid class, they told her the MXF folder needed a space after the F. This stopped the index process from happening.

Double check that it is at the root on the external drive. When you double click the drive, you should see the Avid Mediafiles folder. It can't be inside another folder called Avid stuff, or anything like that.

If the data base file is there, delete it. Avid should automatically rebuild it. Because this media, and this project were both built together, you probably shouldn't have to do any kind of relink function. Once Avid recognizes the data, everything should link up and go.

Last thing to try, open the project they gave you and try to import a still...any photo on your computer will work. Does it give you the external drive as an option to save the media to? If so, import it, and see
if Avid created a 1 folder along with the 4 folder you already have. (all the new media avid creates will go into a 1 folder) Or, did Avid create a new Avid MediaFiles folder somewhere else. If so, than something is not typed correctly in the one you have from the book. In this case, simply move the 4 folder over to the Avid MediaFiles/mxf folder Avid just created and you should be good.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Matt Ferguson
on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:46:55 am

The issue was that it wasnt at the root of the drive. I kept the two folders from the CD in one folder celled Avid. Thanks for help Glenn. Feeling a little silly for not figuring out something as simple as that.

Matt W. Ferguson

Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]