FORUMS: list search recent posts

nVidia GTX 780M 4GB for Avid Media Composer 7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
nVidia GTX 780M 4GB for Avid Media Composer 7
on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:18:19 am

I'm looking to update my iMac in the next couple of months.

As far as I can gather, of the two cards offered on the latest 27" iMac, only one - Nvidia GeForce GTX 775M (2GB) - is listed as officially supported by Media Composer 7.

Ideally I was looking to go for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M (4GB) option as I want to try and ensure as much longevity for the new system as possible, and unlike RAM the GPU obviously cannot be upgraded later on. I'd rather have some of that extra horsepower, as the main factor that has made my current 2009 iMac struggle to keep up with the updated NLE software over the last couple of years has been it's under-powered GPU.

Can anyone here report on performance with the GTX 780M in Media Composer? It seems odd that the more powerful GPU would not be officially supported.

Cheers,
Adam

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: nVidia GTX 780M 4GB for Avid Media Composer 7
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:10:30 am

The qualifications for GPUs on Avid only apply to the PC version of Avid. Any graphics card on a qualified Mac is supported.

There is no GPU acceleration on the Mac for Avid (and on the PC, GPU acceleration is only minimal, compared to Premiere Pro and FCPX)

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:43:00 pm

Also, realize that "supported' hardware, is hardware they have used and tested and qualified. There are plenty of options out there that can be used, but Avid can't test them all. They are not saying it won't work, they are simply saying "we haven't tried and/or approved it, As John said, it should work fine.

Most of my boxes are so "unsupported" its not even funny.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:30:34 pm

Thanks both for the input. Good to know.

Think when the time comes I'll go ahead and get the 780M card…I asked over at the Avid board as well and a couple people came back saying that it worked fine (they had the card themselves I believe).

Cheers again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]