FORUMS: list search recent posts

ScriptSync English transcript, French audio

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Flookes
ScriptSync English transcript, French audio
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:29:37 pm

Hey guys,

Have a project coming up shot in France with French audio. It is being transcribed to English for us because none of us speak french. We are looking into options for the best an easiest way to make this edit as smooth as possible. The transcription place said they could provide ScriptSync files for us but my question, as I've never used it before and have only been able to watch ScriptSync tutorials from 2009 and 2010, is will ScriptSync be a viable option for us since the text would be in English but the audio would be in French.

Thanks ahead of time! If anyone needs more info let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Jonathan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: ScriptSync English transcript, French audio
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:53:54 pm

When you (they" say ScriptSync files, does this mean they will line the transcript/script using ScriptSync and send you the .avs and media for your Media Composer? If so, you will see two lines for each portion of dialog where one is English and should be protected by brackets [ ] so that ScriptSync ignores it, and there will be the original French. So for any given line you will have:

[How are ya? Are you going to the movies with me tonight?]
Ça va? Tu viens au cinéma avec moi ce soir?

Clicking on any line will take you to the first word in that line in the clip. It is not word based, but line based. If you want more granularity, you need to make shorted lines. For the above it would look like:

[How are ya?]
Ça va?

[Are you going to the movies]
Tu viens au cinéma]

[with me tonight?]
avec moi ce soir?

But cutting into a sentence may have different results due to the difference in grammatical structure. The french line could have been: "tu viens avec moi au cinema ce soir?" and have the basic same English translation. That's where knowing the language helps where cutting on words, reactions, and intent of meaning may make a difference in the pace and rhythm.

On a related note, a friend of mine who I helped with a similar project wrote on article on editing in a foreign language for the Editor's Guild Magazine and can be read online here:

Lost in Translation No More: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love ScriptSync
by Debbie Berman

https://www.editorsguild.com/magazine.cfm?ArticleID=1049

Michael

Return to posts index

Jonathan Flookes
Re: ScriptSync English transcript, French audio
on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:52:42 pm

Thank you so much Michael! Passed this around yesterday, we're hopping this works!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]