FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picture Syncing

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zora Matthews
Picture Syncing
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:13:27 am

Hello Everyone!

I want to picture sync my footage using avid media composer 6. How do I separate the audio and video clip in the timeline before I start to picture sync the footage?

Kind regards

Zora

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Picture Syncing
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:29:41 pm

Trying to understand the state of your sources to best advise. If I understand correctly, you have video with scratch audio VA and you want to remove the scratch audio and sync the double system audio to create a new sync clip? Or you want to resync the VA clip as it came in from camera?

I usually don't sync in the timeline myself. If there are claps, (and assuming no common timecode?) I add a Mark IN at the clap on the VA clip, then a Mark IN at the same clap point on the double system audio. Select both clips and choose AutoSync from the Bin menu. In the dialog box, I select "use Mark In" as the sync method, then at the bottom I make sure "keep audio on video clip" is NOT selected and defaults as such. Select the range of tracks you want from the double system audio. Some like working with just the mix track if available or all tracks. Click OK. Your .sync clip in the bin will have removed the scratch audio from the original VA clip and added the double system audio.

I tend to always work in a 35mm 4 perf project even if not using film so that I can further sync the clip to a 1/4 frame refinement as I describe in my blog here: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=16

Michael

Return to posts index

Zora Matthews
on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:44:00 am

Hi Micheal
Thank you for replying Avid is still quite new to me and I appreciate your advice. I am trying to sync the audio and video clips that I have captured from a DV tape using a JVC GR-D340EK digital camera .would you be able to help me?

Kind regards

Zora

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 31, 2014 at 2:49:56 pm

I need a bit more clarification to be able to help. You've captured video (and audio?) via tape and you have separate audio (imorted or tape captured?) that you need to sync. In addition to these questions;

1. Do the picture and sound elements needing to be sync have common timecode from production?
2. Do picture and sound elements have clearly recorded slate and clap?

Based on that, your syncing process can be fast, or not. If you have no slates or common timecode, then it will be painful at the very least, or multi-step with a program like Pluraleyes.

Michael

Return to posts index

Zora Matthews
on Feb 1, 2014 at 12:13:16 am

Hi Micheal

Thanks for getting back to me.I have captured video and audio via DV tape.I haven't got separate audio that was imported. The audio was captured together with the video via DV tape. The picture and sound elements that need to be synced have a common time code from production. It also has clearly recorded slates and clap.

Kind Regards
Zora

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 1, 2014 at 2:59:31 am

If they have common timecode, then put all the clips in the same bin, select all, go to AutoSync (Bin menu) and sync by START timecode. You will end up with one .sync subclip for every matching pair. Rename as needed.

The above assumes that one set of files is V or VA and the other is A only.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]