FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching from FCP7 to Avid MC7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin King
Switching from FCP7 to Avid MC7
on Jan 25, 2014 at 6:55:39 pm

Hi all,

I am a fcp7 editor looking to make the switch to MC7 since it seems to be the industry standard and the best shot at getting more work.

I know there will be a learning curve, but my main concern is whether or not my imac will be able to run avid MC7 efficiently. Here are my specs:

iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2010
Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

Software OS X 10.9.1

1tb sata disk

lacie 500gb external harddrive (needs upgrading)

Lacie 2tb cloudbox NAS (for archiving projects and footage)

Already decided to upgrade the ram to 16gb, but besides that, will I be able to make this work? I run FCP7 without any major render times and Premiere Pro was such an issue with lagging that I got rid of it.

I mainly edit h.264 files from canon dslrs and have to convert to pro-res before bringing into fcp7 which can be a pain so IDK if MC7 runs h.264 natively or not, but I am hoping it does.

Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated and if I am missing any extra hardware needed to make this work please let me know.

Thanks!
Austin

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Switching from FCP7 to Avid MC7
on Jan 25, 2014 at 9:33:46 pm

It will most likely work fine, but depending on codecs, drive speed, etc. mileage may vary. The good thing about the 30 day full functioning free trial for Media Composer is that you can download it, test it in your workflow and platform/hardware and know exactly how it will behave.

http://apps.avid.com/media-composer-trial/

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2014 at 3:47:02 am

[Austin King] "IDK if MC7 runs h.264 natively or not, but I am hoping it does."

It runs it about as well as FCP...which is to say not well at all. Avid, like FCP, craves for it to be transcoded. FCP does ProRes, Avid does DNxHD. You use AMA to access the media, then you transcode it to the codec you want. Only premiere really deals with H.264 without the need to convert.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Austin King
on Jan 26, 2014 at 3:59:05 pm

Thanks for the responses! I will give the free trial a shot and work from there.

-Austin

Thanks!
Austin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]