FORUMS: list search recent posts

24 fps footage in a 1080p/29.97 project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brother
24 fps footage in a 1080p/29.97 project
on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:56:19 pm

Hi. I'm editing a 1080p/29.97 project on a Media Composer (V6.5.2) and we received footage that was shot at 23.98 fps. They're MXF files shot to a card.

I know in the past, mixing resolutions didn't work. But I brought a couple clips in and cut them into a sequence and it played fine. I exported the sequence and it exported fine.

My question is...Should I assume I will have no issues with this footage? Or might it cause problems later?

And if it will cause problems, what is is the best method to transcode this footage to the proper resolution?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 24 fps footage in a 1080p/29.97 project
on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:03:03 pm

[Dan Brother] "Should I assume I will have no issues with this footage?"

Yup...the footage should work fine. Avid MC5.5 and up deal with mixed frame rates much better. You'll see a green dot on the footage, indicating it's of a different rate. And Avid will add the proper pulldown to make it work.

[Dan Brother] "Or might it cause problems later?"

Nope....should be fine.

[Dan Brother] "what is is the best method to transcode this footage to the proper resolution?"

Create a project that matches the frame rate and size of the footage. Import into that project (AMA link then transcode), and then bring the bin into the main project.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:37:17 pm

Thanks Shane. You're awesome as always!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:04:44 pm
Last Edited By Ricky Barrow on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:07:42 pm

Shane - this thread brings up a question I have had for some time now:

Using the above as example, what's the benefit to creating a 24p project, linking and transcoding then bringing in footage to the 29.97 project and opening the bin - won't the footage get transcoded again on rendering or exporting? As you say, it should work fine linking and transcoding (also converting fps) all in one fell swoop - Is it cleaner one way over the other?

Ricky

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:18:31 pm

[Ricky Barrow] "won't the footage get transcoded again on rendering or exporting?"

It won't get transcoded again. No rendering is required. Playback is real time. It will get transcoded when you export, if you export to a different format than you are editing, but then ALL of the footage gets transcoded, even the native frame rate footage. No transcoding or rendering happens when you bring the footage into your main project.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:21:05 pm

Perfect - thanks!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:57:53 pm

Shane,

What is "proper pulldown" for 23.98p to 29.97p? I know Avid can do proper 2:3 pulldown for 23.98p to 29.97i, but progressive to progressive offers less than optimal results in my view (a pattern of 2:1:1:1, which has a stuttered look). Is this the best you can get for this conversion? I would say blending is probably not great, but at least it would be smoother.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:03:25 pm

Progressive to progressive is problematic, even for a high end piece of equipment like the Terranex. 24p to 30p always has repeated frames. There's no way around it. Unlike 30i, where frames can be dispersed better by going into the fields, there are no fields in progressive.

But I have had a brilliant After Effects artist do wonders and make it look smoother. He didn't give me the magic formula, but if you ask on the AE forum here, you might get some response.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]