FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sending Project to a Colorist

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Kotlowitz
Sending Project to a Colorist
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:37:33 pm

Hey All - I've got the software version of Avid MC6.5.2 on my iMac. I need to send the completed project to a colorist. What is the work flow? thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sending Project to a Colorist
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:16:32 pm

Make a new bin. OPT-DRAG the final locked sequence to that bin. Highlight the sequence and CONSOLIDATE it to another drive, one you will hand over to the Colorist.

When that is done, save the bin. Sort it by clip type and the sequence should appear at the top. Save again. Make a new project, same settings as your current one. On the desktop level, copy the bin with the consolidated sequence and media to that new project. Save the project. Drag that entire project to the hard drive you consolidated to.

If you use any stills in the project, and utilized AVID PAN & SCAN or MOVING PICTURE...copy all of your stills to that drive as well...they will need them.

This is what you do if the project was edited at full resolution. If you cut at low resolution using an "offline" codec, then the procedures are far more involved...as the show will need to be "uprezed."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:21:16 pm

Although the procedure also depends greatly on what the Colorist is using to grade the final. The steps I laid out are for getting it to someone using a Symphony. If they use Resolve...then different steps might be needed. Consulting with the Colorist on how THEY want things prepared is order number 1.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Joel Kotlowitz
on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:33:59 am

Awesome, thanks. It's already high rezzed. I'll talk to the colorist and see how they want it first. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joel Kotlowitz
on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:38:15 am

They're asking for a XML. I've been a long time FCP user and I know exactly how to do it on that program, but does that option exist in AVID?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:42:55 am

Avid doesn't do XML. It does AAF. Ask if an AAF will do. What are they using to grade?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Joel Kotlowitz
on Jan 18, 2014 at 3:15:37 pm

The colorist said they're working on Davinci Resolve 10. Here's what they said in terms of files needed -

"Just send me a dnxhd. AAF is fine too. Davinci resolve 10"

By asking for a dnxhd are they just asking for a high res quicktime w/ that codec? What's the process for delivering an AAF they can work with?

Thanks again,

Joel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 19, 2014 at 5:41:56 am

They want a DNxHD QT file, and an AAF.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 19, 2014 at 4:57:19 pm

If they want both DNXhd and an aaf, they may prefer you do Ross' initial consolidate steps, and provide them with your individual MXF media (at full res), along with an aaf that points to that media.

load your sequence, export, create a setting for aaf, linked video and audio, not using marks or track selection. This will export everything in your timeline as part of an aaf.

you would probably find if instead of export, you use "send to" and use the Avid DS setting, you will get the same result.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:00:55 pm

Check this tute...
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/roundtripping-from-avid-to-davinci-resolve/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]