FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Reference rendering problem

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Spencer
Quicktime Reference rendering problem
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:02:32 pm

Hi

For years my workflow has been to edit and then render effects for review and then export to Sorenson Squeeze using a Quicktime Reference export. As everything in the sequence is fully rendered, the QT refs are quickly exported with no new rendering.

Suddenly this week every time I go to do this it insists on rendering all the effects (actually all the footage seems to need a render - so it is taking ages every time I export).

I haven't knowingly changed any settings, the timeline is fully rendered and plays fine in full resolution. Only when exporting to a QT ref does it ask to render again. De-selecting the option to 'render all effects' gives me waring about effects that need to be rendered brefore export.

Has anyone any idea what might have changed to start this happening.

I have tried several old jobs which used to export without rendering - now all the same - hundreds of renders needed - every time I export.

I have MC 7 with Symphony option, AJA KOna 3. all media is transcoded to DNxHD 120 on local drives (mainly from XDCAM EX)

Sequences have the same settings (and anyway, report 'no effects to render')

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks

frank

Media Composer 5.5, Win 7
PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
Re: Quicktime Reference rendering problem
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:34:44 pm

Is there a frameflex effect on the clips?

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:42:07 pm

Hi Mark

No, nothing like that. Never really used it.

If I open a new sequence, place a fresh new DNxHD clip on it, check it doesn't need a render, then go to make a Quicktime reference, then I have to render one effect before the QT ref is made. For a rel timeline this is taking ages.

Going back into old jobs is now the sam, but it wasn't when I was working on them. Sequences that used to export instantly now need long renders.

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Mark Renz
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:59:25 pm

How about frame rates, does the footage match project? If they are different it will need to render the motion adapter.

Mark Renz
Senior Editor
Outpost Worldwide

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on Jan 17, 2014 at 6:22:39 pm

Thanks Mark

But no go there either.

1.Frame rates are not changed - just using a new un-touched clip in a new job with my standard settings has the same effect.
2. Every clip and effect in a timeline now needs rendering
2. Old jobs which previously didn't need rendering now do.

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:46:28 pm

Do those clips have a green dot on them at all?

Also, check your media creation settings and make sure they are set to the same codec as your sequence (DNx120 ?). Possibly also go to render settings check on the "same as source" box.

You've probably tried all of these already. I use MC7 and have performed the same QT reference workflow as you. It doesn't give me problems so long as the media doesn't need any transformations with frameflex, etc. So... I think you're assumptions are correct that it should be working.

That being said, half the time I just export a same-as-source quicktime in full to avoid any trouble. Especially since AMA doesn't allow the QT reference workflow I've been using it less and less.

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:58:28 am

Hi Daniel

Thaks for your suggestions.

1. No green dots (als, if I highlight the whole sequence select render in/out it reports no effects to render - normally this would mean I can make a QT ref without rendering).

2. All media and sequences are matched to DxN120 as far as I can tell.

3. Render setting are set to 'same as source' - either way, this box doesn't seem to affect behaviour.

Yes, this always worked fine till the last few weeks and now every job takes me ages to get my proofs out (which I have to do a few times a day).

Unfortuanately SaS QuickTimes are just as slow to export. It's not that I can't get stuff off the machine, it is just very slow (and formerly) unnecessary.

Currently the fastest workfow is to video mixdown every version of the sequences I need to export. It works but is just wasting time.

Thanks

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]