FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mysteriously disappearing TC when conforming C300

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mina Sewell
Mysteriously disappearing TC when conforming C300
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:43:21 pm

I'm assisting on a tv show that was shot mainly on the Canon C300, where the offline editing was done in DNxHD 36 and we're re-linking back to the AMAs for the conform. Theoretically, this works well as long as I can make sure the timecode and tape labels match the offline clips, but I'm running into a HUGE problem:

The timecode seems to vanish... there's just nothing there for some of the clips. At first I thought this was because I'd decomposed the sequence , but in fact it sometimes happens before that as well.

All the timecode remains intact in my locked cut, but as soon as I start to work on relinking the AMAs, certain clips will go offline. There doesn't seem to be any common factor with the ones that do, other than that they are all C300 (about 95% of the show).

I can't modify the clips because when I do it gives me the error "could not find existing source information " , regardless of whether the media is online or offline.

I'm running Media Composer 6.0.1.1

Has anyone seen ANYTHING like this before? I'm having trouble even finding other forum posts with the same problem. Any suggestions at all would be a real help to my sanity.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Mysteriously disappearing TC when conforming C300
on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:28:05 am

AMA problem withe the version. Not sure if there's any way to fix it. I've run into that, too.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mina Sewell
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:21:16 pm

Did you do any kind of a workaround? I conformed about 60% of the first episode manually and I would really like to avoid doing that again.

Any idea if this bug is fixed in 6.5 or would I need to upgrade to 7? (never a good idea in the middle of a show but might be worth it in this case). Thanks!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:56:35 pm

[Mina Sewell] "Did you do any kind of a workaround?"

I never did. In my case, I was picking up for another editor. He was on 5 and I was on 6. My output was going to Baselight for grading as an AAF with MXF. I consolidated and Baselight was able to deal with it.

AMA has evolved across the various versions. MC7 is definitely better and relinking better, but it's still not as functional in my opinion as FCP7, FCPX or PProCC. Working with native media via AMA in MC is a gamble. I suggest always only using AMA as originally intended. Use as a method to pick selects, and then transcode.

Good luck.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mina Sewell
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:02:08 pm

That's the strange thing, we are using transcodes for the edit. But once I bring the AMAs back into the project to reconnect to my locked sequence as a conform, even the transcodes will "lose" their timecode (it's still there, but Avid won't display any of the metadata on the clip and thinks it's gone, even though it should still all be embedded in the .mxf file). Very strange and frustrating.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 18, 2014 at 4:55:52 pm

[Mina Sewell] "That's the strange thing, we are using transcodes for the edit. "

Same with my project. The C300 footage was transcoded (outside of Avid) into ProRes QT movies, which were AMA'ed into Media Composer. That's where my problem started and it seemed to have to do with crossing over versions between myself and the other editor. How about you? Has your project only ever been touched by one computer and one version of MC software (no updates in between)?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mina Sewell
on Jan 23, 2014 at 5:28:30 pm

Seems the answer is to stay on the same system. Like you said, moving between computers is what did it (though in my case I was only moving between versions 6.0.4 and 6.0.1) If I keep everything on the editor's system the timecode stays put.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]