FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA Relink woe #321

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
AMA Relink woe #321
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:33:57 pm

I read a thread about relinking AMA files on this forum, but it didn't seem to work.

Here's my issue:

I linked to AMA from an external hard drive, and created a timeline.

Then I had to switch hard drives, and I haven't been able to relink the AMA files to the new hard drive.

I tried Opening a new bin, then AMA linking all the clips into the new bin, then going back to the original bin, and doing a relink from there. I thought I had checked all the right boxes, including "all avialable drives." But it didn't work.

I would like to avoid having to build my timeline over again with newly AMA'd clips!
There must be a way to make this work.

Any ideas?

Thanks greatly!

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: AMA Relink woe #321
on Jan 17, 2014 at 2:05:51 am

Dan,

Your media went away when you switched hard drives. A file used as an AMA link must be in a drive that is on-line. AMA does not move the file to the location used by your Avid media.

I always copy a file to my RAID before linking via AMA (or transcode it to Avid media).

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:56:47 am

You say you switched hard drives. I presume you copied all the content from the old drive to the new drive in the same file structure and paths?

If you've been able to re-AMA clips into fresh bins then your original AMA clips should just relink in the original bins.

You may have to do a re-link of the sequence to refresh those links but the original clips in the original bins should just re-link on their own.

You haven't updated MC between the first AMA link and this later AMA link?

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:34:11 pm

what version of avid are you on?

You don't want to link to available drives, that scans the data base, looking for media.

If you have already relinked a new version of the media, try opening that bin, and the bin with your sequence, so that you have two bins open. Select all the clips, right click on the sequence and select relink.

use the "all selected media in open bins" option, and play with some of those settings.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:10:46 pm

If you're on 7.03, the ability to relink AMA files en masse has been temporarily lost (I heard this from Avid directly, an admitted mistake).

Here's what I'd do, and I can only confirm this works for 7.03: open the bin with your AMA material, then right-click in the bin and choose AMA link. Basically, pretend you are relinking to some brand new AMA files. Now find your identical files, wherever they are now, and AMA link them. Avid should realize these are the same files as before, and your old AMA master clips suddenly 'update' to the new location.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:39:03 pm

Hi all.

Thanks for your tips and help.

So, I tried all the various suggestions and nothing seems to work to relink the AMA clips to my original bin/sequence. (Daniel, I also tried AMA linking a new file into the original bin and trying to relink again)

Interestingly, I WAS able to relink when I did the whole thing again. In other words, I moved my original media to another brand new hard drive, opened a new bin and did a fresh AMA link to those clips. Then I went back to the 2nd bin that I linked to and they were all properly linked.

However, not so, for the original bin.

So in other words:
Bin 1 with hard drive 1 (original)
Bin 2 with hard drive 2
Bin 3 with hard drive 3

Bin 2 and 3 are linking properly, even though hard drive 2 is no longer connected.
But bin one is not.

Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and re-do this timeline?
BTW, I'm on MC 7.0.0
Is it worth updating?

Another question: How do you relink a sequence?

Thanks for all your help!!

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:50:53 pm

Try going to Bin 1 and pretend to link to new AMA files (the same files already in the bin). That might fix the links for Bin 1.

As for relinking a sequence to AMA files:

1) highlight all your AMA master clips (put them all into 1 bin to make it easier)

2) Use this relinking method (picture): http://readysetdit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Relink_Settings.png

Note: Instead of relinking to "source file id" like the image says, you may have to choose "source file name" depending on what kind of AMA files you're dealing with. You can try both and see if it works.

3) the result will be a new sequence that should have been relinked to the AMA files you had highlighted!

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 23, 2014 at 2:53:06 pm

Hey Daniel,

I tried again and no soap.

I did a fresh link to media via AMA in the original bin (to one of the same clips), and also did another relink. Didn't work. I also tried putting the sequence in the same bin as the clips, and did a relink like the picture you shared with me, and the sequence didn't re-link. But that would make sense, since the clips didn't relink to begin with.

I even tried putting the sequence in the new bin with the properly linked AMAs and try to relink the sequence: still no soap.

Time to throw in the towel?

Thanks again!!

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 23, 2014 at 2:58:59 pm

Hey Daniel,

It worked!!!!

I put the sequence in the same bin as the NEWLY clips/AMA bin.
Then I used "Source File Name"

And it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]