FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to send reframing information to colorist?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eryn walanka
Best way to send reframing information to colorist?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:07:49 pm

I have recently finished an edit that will be brought back to RED 4K from DNX36. The colorist needs the information on the clips we have re framed. What is the best method of getting this information to them?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Best way to send reframing information to colorist?
on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:38:41 am

Which effect was used for the reframing? Sending an AAF is your best chance. You need to select "use resizing information" when prompted at the import stage in Resolve. If using FrameFlex, that is not yet supported.

Michael

Return to posts index

eryn walanka
on Jan 10, 2014 at 6:14:28 am

I am using the 3D warp effect. The post house where the color is being done is top notch. I am making sure I am giving them the right info. Is there a chance that I will have to manually record the re-size info? The post house uses FilmLight Baselight.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:34:22 am

Baselight houses I worked with seem to prefer EDL over AAF, and the short test I did some years ago showed that the resize info did not get across in the AAF (the Baselight would not pick it up, or not correctly).

I usually add timeline comments to the resizeds shots (red segment select, record monitor menu, Add Comment). i type in the percentage. When creating the EDL, I tick the "Clip comments" box in the options. This adds the comment to the event in the EDL. They will then know which shots to resize. They will then manually redo that resize looking at your offline reference

I always ask that they don't have the Colorist do this, but rather a conform editor. Many, many things can and do go wrong when conforming, and top many people rely on auto-conforming, only to find out that there are tons of issues with speed changes, resizings, etc. Good conform editors tackle these issues.

Then, because I am a control freak, i ask the conform editor to send me a QT or MXF export of the conform, and I then gang my offline and this new file in the source and record monitors, and check each shot for sync and applied effects. Depending on the dedication of the conform editor, i then usually find between 1 and 5 errors per reel, much more if they did a lousy job. Time consuming, sure, but it makes sure that you get what you intended.

Return to posts index

eryn walanka
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:51:56 am

Thanks everyone for the excellent answers. You have been very helpful.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Jan 11, 2014 at 2:55:17 pm

Unless it's more than a 120% blow up (that would be an HD file being blown up in the flame), it's better that the flame artist handles it. That's my rule of thumb, anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]