FORUMS: list search recent posts

Master clips won't delete after trashing AvidMedia Files folder

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hill
Master clips won't delete after trashing AvidMedia Files folder
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:07:52 pm

I trashed my AvidMedia Files folder from the Finder. I'm guessing that's a big no-no.
I tried deleting the master clips associated with the files which had been in the Media Files folder and after deleting them, they popped back up in the bin. I tried unlinkiing and deleting them and they popped back up again.
Am I stuck with the feisty clips?
Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Master clips won't delete after trashing AvidMedia Files folder
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:07:13 pm

If you download MDO (i think thats what its called, itll scan your hard drives, work out which files are from which projects and let you delete them.
I used it and managed to delete about 100 gigs of material that avid wasnt aware of from years ago.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:10:30 pm

Great, Peter. Now where do we find and/or purchase MDO? Can't find it on Avid's site and doesn't seem discoverable on Google.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:33:42 pm

Sorry. Its MDV. I only realised when i looked at your reply and looked at my programme.
You can get it here linked from the Avid site.
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/111878.aspx

Cheers
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:59:04 pm

Thanx! Sounds VERY helpful.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 11, 2014 at 5:13:50 pm

Somethings wrong in the workflow here.

I would suggest a couple of approaches.

There isn't really a need to trash the whole folder. Step inside it and delete the "1" folder inside the MXf subfolder. This will delete all that media. You may have to delete a "2" or "3" folder as well. This will delete all media from any projects on your box...assuming you only have the one storage location.

A better solution may be to delete media 1 project at at time, from with in that project. (see below)

There is no reason for the media to "POP" back up, unless there is actually another folder on a drive somewhere with media on it, and that is in fact the media you are trying to delete. Please note, if you did delete the AvidMedia Files folder, and then relaunched Avid, then yes, the folder will come back on, as avid requires that folder to function, but you shouldn't see any media inside the folder.

Inside Avid check out your media tool and see if it is scanning other drives.

Inside the project that contains the media you want to delete, you can select the clips in the bin and hit the delete button. If you tell avid to delete the associated media files, those clips should be gone.

When you say you tried unlinking the clips...are you working with media you imported or transcoded or digitized off tape, or are you working with AMA media? If you are using AMA media, there will be no media in your MXF folder to delete. The clips keep popping back on because the drive you are AMA-ing from is still connected.

Other than that, i suppose it is possible you don't have the correct permissions to delete the folder. It really shouldn't be hard to delete the media from your box. (the trouble usually starts when you realize you can't un-delete it :)

Glenn

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:16:44 pm

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your helpful response. I had done exactly what you thought. I had identical media on both drives so that is why the master clips kept "popping back up."
Am I correct in thinking that In the normal course of consolidating media to another drive that problem should not occur? (Otherwise you'd have to always be disconnecting a drive). So I think I must have put the same media on a different drive at an earlier time.

Thanks again!

John

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:02:59 pm

John, unless you delete the original media, consolidating it won't typically go an clean up your media for you. There may be a setting in the consolidate tab to "delete original media when done", i'm not infront of the box right now, so i'm not 100% clear what it's delete function is, but the basic idea is to consolidate everything down to a single location for you to archive easier, and perhaps save some space, but you really should be the one who makes the final decision on when to delete your original media. Don't leave that up to a computer program, or you will curse it at some point.

When you do a consolidate, you may want to simply move your orginal mxf/** folders out of the mxf area from that drive to hide them from Avid, after you've completed the consolidate, and assuming you aren't consolidating to the same drive that the originals are on. In that case you may want to rename the original folder from "1" to "2" before you start consolidating. The newly created media will then be put into the "1" folder. If you do this, make sure you are not skipping any media already on the target drive.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]