FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do changes made to the options in AMC 7's import window affect the 'transcode' options in the AMA window?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Do changes made to the options in AMC 7's import window affect the 'transcode' options in the AMA window?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:48:42 am

I'm having an issue with some footage and the problem is elusive. One theory is that it may be related to incorrect field ordering.

To test this, I intend to transcode the footage in to a different field order than what it currently is. I can't know which order it is currently, so I'll need to do a transcode of each.

The footage is P2 material, which means that the audio and video are already split in to multiple separate .mxf files and so I can't simply import an individual clip.

The only way I can get to my problem clip is to load the whole card structure using the p2 folder ama plugin and then selecting the problem clip and transcoding.

Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust any of the parameters for how this transcoding is performed, only which codec you want to use. But I need to be able to set the field ordering so I can do one of each and see which one produces the issues, (if any) so I can solve the motion issues the clip is having, or rule out field ordering as a potential cause.

I see that in the import window I can set the field order and I'm hoping that setting it there globally affects how avid performs transcoding but I don't know for sure. I won't be able to tell if I end up seeing no difference between two transcodes with the field order settings changed prior to each whether or not the lack of a difference is because field ordering was not the issue, or if it's because the import window options pane has no effect upon the transcoding.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Do changes made to the options in AMC 7's import window affect the 'transcode' options in the AMA window?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 1:26:46 pm

You will not see any field differences in the Source/Record monitor MC GUI as those only show 1 field at a time. You will need to be playing it back over I/O hardware to a client monitor.

Have you tried AMA instead of an import?

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Do changes made to the options in AMC 7's import window affect the 'transcode' options in the AMA window?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:11:38 pm

In the tools command palette within MC you have the option to step fields instead of frames so even with in the source record monitors you can step field by field and check if it's progressive or interlaced and the field order is correct.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:15:28 pm

Forgot about field stepping! I am in progressive progressive projects 99.647% of the time.

Thanks -

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:19:46 pm

If you are in a Progressive project any interlaced content should get a motion adapter when it cuts into a sequence. However wrongly flagged content won't be treated correctly.

Always worth having an Interlaced project to check suspect source content or just toggle your project to i to test the sources.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:40:46 am

Just be ware that some frame rates do not have interlace counterparts so you cannot flip project back and forth.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]