FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking, Onlining issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Nickell
Relinking, Onlining issue
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:09:44 pm

I inherited a project from another editor and I don't have any way to contact and talk to that editor. I believe the project has been started in MC7 but I have migrated back to a 6.0 MC load to cut on.

The project is now locked and I am trying to get the file online to grade and finish. I have tried several methods on the net that I have found, but none of them seem to be linking back to the original camera files. I could go through each cut and rebuild, but I'm thinking there has to be a better way.

I have tried sending out an AAF linked and also AAF's where I copy the MXF dir to a new drive/folder, etc. When I get into resolve, and mark 'link to originals' it only pulls op the MXF low res files from Avid.

Anyone have a workflow from 6.0 to get back to the original R3D files or a way to check to see how the files were ingested in the first place?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Relinking, Onlining issue
on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:01:12 am

You need to see how the source metadata was tracked on the orignal offline clips. In your bin, create a bin view that includes the following columns:

1. Tape
2. Source File
3. Start
4. End

Depending on the process, there will be a filename in the either the Tape or Source File column. If Tape, then it was done as part of a dailies process with third party software. If in Source Files, then they probably linked via AMA and transcoded. Once you know what that is, we can advise how to do a relink. It is not the most obvious process, but you can usually get it to work after multiple attempts... :)

Michael

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 1:23:05 am

Thanks for the quick response Michael.

Tape: [project name]_day04.15
No source file:
S: 12:25:XX:XX
E: 12:26:XX:XX

Looks like it was from Resolve. Under Manufacturer it reads DaVinci Resolve. Does this mean I need to transcode out of Resolve and relink?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 3, 2014 at 1:47:35 am

Yikes! I blogged about this several months back:
http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=24

I don't know why anyone would enter that as REEL ID with any hopes of a smooth post process. You might have an easier time if you can identify the original R3D files with the same info. I would then AMA link to the R3D files that would meet that metadata and add it to the Camroll or Labroll column. From there, in v6.5 and later you can relink on any column as source. If not, then it will be a clip by clip identification.

This is not the first time I have seen these types of issues come up - usually from inexperienced folks who have access to Resolve for free and jump into the "dailies" process without checking their work with a quick test as soon as dailies are created.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 3, 2014 at 1:56:02 am

Any chance that the folder that contains the R3D files has that name? Then you should be able to quickly add that to all related R3D in one of the columns. Or do a relink/conform in Resolve using the same syntax for source or folder - perhaps the ALE export from Resolve will also have the R3D file name in the clip name column. Would you happen to have that already from the dailies process by chance? If you look at all the columns, is there anything that looks like an R3D file name?

Michael

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 2:15:30 am

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I have all of the original R3D files in the original directory format. Would this change anything?

--
Derek Nickell | OMPA, VFT | Editor, VFX, Colorist
Blue Brownie Post Production, Portland, OR O:503.922.2117

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 3, 2014 at 2:26:59 am

Do you see a folder structure with one of them having this naming structure?:
[project name]_day04.15

and I would assume:
[project name]_day04.16
[project name]_day04.17
etc.

If so, you have a fighting chance.

Michael

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 2:39:59 am

Nothing like that.

footage/day1/A001, A002, B001, etc.

It's only four days, probably 11 reels total. Could I dupe and recreate the folder structure?

--

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 3, 2014 at 3:26:11 am

Well it's not so much recreating the folder structure but using it to know which clips are part of that name that was assigned. I suspect you have several clips that have the same "Tape" value? it's applying that name to the linked R3D files so that you have a common source file (REEL) to link to in addition to the timecode for the span itself.

Michael

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:43:30 am

I'll dupe a series and see if changing the structure works.

Thanks for the help Michael.

--

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:49:34 am

Does your bin with the offline proxy clips contain the original R3D filename anywhere at all? If so, you can cross reference that way.

Michael

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:43:54 pm

The MXF files are all named A045_C003_XXXX.MXF, A045_C003_XXXX_A1.MXF, from the original files.

--

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:29:45 pm

hmmmm... but that info is nowhere in the bin under any column by chance? Doing a "reveal file" on each clip to log the actual file name might be a bit tedious.

Michael

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:04:59 pm

The 'tape' column reads{name}_day01.XX..._day02.XX for all of the media. And reveal file give the actual clip name + _A1 for audio, etc...

I have all of the columns on now. Under the UNC (?) column reads Volumes/{Project}/DNX36/Day03/AXXX_CXXX_XXXXX.mxf

I don't have that folder on the drives that I received though. Kinda looks like the AE that started this ran off MXF's into separate dir's for the off/online media.

Could I use an EDL through DaVinci to consolidate the media, color, then run off 220 MXF's and relink? This project only needs to get to 1080, doesn't need to go all the way back to 4K.

--

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:34:48 pm

UNC (Universal Naming Convention) is the path name for drive/folder/file. So now, between the TAPE and the UNC column you now know the relationship of the files. Making an EDL might be the fastest way to go as you suggest, but you have the wrong file name in TAPE for that to happen. I would suggest you add Camroll to the bin with UNC and copy just the file name as in AXXX_CXXX_XXXX without the .mxf. Then you can generate an EDL with camroll as source.

Michael

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:42:33 pm

Ok, so this is what I did, and it might work for what I need.

I ran off a EDL of my timeline.
Opened Resolve, new project
Imported all of the R3D folders into the media pool
Imported the EDL.

Popped up a timeline linked to the R3D files, some errors, but nothing you can't fix. I'll update status as I progress.

Thanks again for the cumulative brain power Michael.

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]