FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backwards compatabilty MC to Symphony finish

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Rand
Backwards compatabilty MC to Symphony finish
on Dec 29, 2013 at 7:31:12 pm

Hi,

I need to offline a series for broadcast. I'm getting the components loosely strung together from a Avid MC vers. 5.5.3. I will finish the shows in offline, then send it to a facility for online that uses Symphony Nitris, V:1.6.4. I am told that this a 2006 version at its maximum update level for their hardware. I don't know if Avid's patches for backwards compatibility reach that far back. The show was completed last year using MC 5.5.3 with files sent to the same Symphony.

I've been cutting on Avids since 1993, but I need to update my own MC Meridian version 12.x to ? to do this offline.

What do you recommend for software and (if needed) hardware to finish this project without major problems? In a perfect world, I'd get MC 6.5, but...

My Mac is a dual quad core, 3.2, with the latest Mac OS, and 16 gigs of RAM. I'd like to monitor the pics with a 40" Samsung LCD that has HDMI and VGA inputs. I will be getting a NVDIA card. Audio is going through a Mackie DFX-12, output to Event 20/20 bas's.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Backwards compatabilty MC to Symphony finish
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:53:16 pm

The main issue in going backwards is using effects or other timeline/sequence features that don't exist in an earlier version. If the timelines are straightforward and both versions share the same effects and plug-ins, you should have a pretty good chance at going backwards.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeff Rand
Re: Backwards compatabilty MC to Symphony finish
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:15:53 am

Thanks, Michael. The show is pretty simple. Title tool lower 3rds and some basic color correction/audio sweetening.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]