FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheapest camera for direct capture to Media Composer 6?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dunwoody Lampton
Cheapest camera for direct capture to Media Composer 6?
on Dec 25, 2013 at 3:17:34 am

For educational (high school students) use, looking for the absolute least expensive camera whose format can be directly captured by Media Composer 6. It can be SD or HD, no preference. I bought Sony DCR-SX85 cameras before learning their MPEG-2 format can't be captured directly by MC6. (I think Sorenson Squeeze that comes with MC6 can convert them into an MC6-friendly format for import but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.) Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Cheapest camera for direct capture to Media Composer 6?
on Dec 26, 2013 at 3:13:02 pm

I would look to any of the DV based cameras on the market with FireWire connection. Just need to be careful with FireWire being eliminated from Apple platforms and will need a third party solution to enable. Then it becomes a question of what is supported. I am finding that MC's focus is on file based formats and workflows while signal based formats have taken a back seat overall.

Why are you looking for tape/signal based cameras? Plenty of lower cost file based camera that can be used. If you want to continue with signal based, you might want to look at some of the Blackmagic solutions for capture and bring those "file-based" into MC.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dunwoody Lampton
on Dec 27, 2013 at 3:46:30 am

I already have nine MiniDV tape cameras, which is why I bought the file-based Sony DCR-SX85, as I mentioned. But I didn't know before purchase, as I mentioned, that the mpeg-2 files produced by the SX85 need to be converted prior to MC import. So, again, I am looking for a camera whose files can be captured/imported directly to MC6 without the need for conversion, and not from a MiniDV tape camera.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:57:16 pm

So you are looking for direct import or fast import. Most of us think of "capture" as coming off tape.

Any Canon camera should allow you to import the quicktime files. Don't ama them, unless you want to transcode, as they are not fun to work with natively.

If your camera records a quicktime file, (h264) you should be able to import those files into avid.

Not sure what the other DSLR's shoot (Nikon) but they may work as well.
A cheaper xdcam should work for you as well., or even P2 can be used with Avid without too much headache.

There are so many cameras out there, its a tough question, but as you've discovered, Mpeg2 is not an edit friendly format.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Dunwoody Lampton
on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:58:49 pm

For me, dragging video files off of some kind of camera internal drive or card is quicker than playing video off one of my nine MiniDV tape cameras. Again, I thought I was getting that convenience with the two, Sony DCR-SX85s I bought in the Summer, which offer internal drive or card acquisition but, as I mentioned, I didn't do my homework prior to purchase and now have to grind everything through Squeeze en route to MC6. Again, these cameras are for educational use, which means wise and prudent expenditure decisions derived from taxpayer dollars. I'll investigate the ones you mentioned for price points. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 31, 2013 at 11:11:43 am

You can AMA off loads of cameras that shoot avchd which are cheap enough.
I always make sure I dan access media before buying anything. Shoot a sample in the shop or at a trade show , test, then buy.

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]