FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA Linking

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
AMA Linking
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:23:41 pm

I have to make some use of AVCHD and frequently encounter glitches when trying to import this into MC6. I try to import material multiple times until it works or transcode in order to avoid using AMA linking alone (without actually importing the material) for fear that something could go wrong at the export stage once editing is complete.

Is this fear justified?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AMA Linking
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:45:47 pm

If nothing else, AMA linking and transcoding is at least 2x faster than an import (which transcodes on the way in) due to the multithreaded nature of AMA. With AMA, there will be a transcode at some point in the process - many folks take the hit up front while some can get away with editing with AMA and then transcode the sequences for whatever steps they need to do next. Each project kind of dictates its own method depending on a lot of factors such as codec type, speed of drives, amount of storage, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:52:14 pm

Thanks, Michael. My main concern is the thought that having edited a project I could find that MC could hang when it came to the export stage, which would be far more damaging than struggling to ingest the stuff in the first place..

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:56:24 pm

Was this from a transcoded sequence to DNxHD before exporting?

Michael

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:04:23 pm

Thus far I have always managed to get my AVCHD files into MC6 either by direct import or by transcoding when it refused to cooperate with the import. Once ingested, all is well, but it can be a lengthy / trial and error process, particularly with long files.

I have never yet tried a project using only AMA linking because I am nervous that once complete the export could fail in the same way that import often does and transcode occasionally can.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:08:48 pm

I can't speak directly to AVCHD as it is a codec that I have never come across in my work, but from what I understand, it is not one of the friendliest codecs out there.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:20:48 pm

Thanks, Michael. You're right: my other format, MXF, is a breeze in comparison.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]