FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conform Avid Project - Da Vinci

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Hartmann
Conform Avid Project - Da Vinci
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:19:06 pm

Hello!

I'm doing an assistant job for a vfx house for a movie. Raw material is Alexa, RED, Blackmagic and so on.. ;)
We started conforming clips für the vfx, by sending an aaf from Avid to Resolve. That was only raw material und we had no problems.

Now we got a trailer as an avid projet we have to conform. And there is the problem, that Da Vinci does not understand the effects used in Avid. What can we do? It should work with an aaf, not?
Better use an EDL? Any other suggestions? :-/

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Conform Avid Project - Da Vinci
on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:33:53 pm

While DaVinci is getting better as a conform tool, it does not have full conform of everything an NLE can do. There is a list of effects it supports in the Resolve User Guide. An AAF carries a lot more information than an EDL, so for VFX conform, AAF has the better shot. But full AAF needs to be supported by the system exporting it, and the one receiving it - and that is not there yet. Typically, in all the features I conform with Resolve, VFX are done elsewhere and cut back in to the sequence which now looks like a straight cut. But it depends on the effect - fades, dissolves, resize, and now timewarps can be done in Resolve 10 - same for plug-in that have an OFX euivalent to the one used in Media Composer. Outside of that, it starts to break down.

If your timeline is in the finishing quality to be used, then you can always render and color correct the MXF - but if you are conforming to greater than HD camera originals, then the former applies.

Michael

Return to posts index

Melanie Hartmann
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:36:32 am

Thank you.
The film disolves used in the avid project obviously do not work on the da vinci. And there is a stabilizer an so on.

So which possibility do we have? The Avid project is in DNX and we need to conform with the original camera files! :-/

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:20:26 pm

I would try an EDL to see if that works better in your scenario. When you say "film dissolve" you are referring to the actual film style dissolve versus the standard dissolve correct? If so, try changing that to a standard type dissolve to see if it helps. Perhaps DaVinci hasn't tagged that as a part of the regular dissolve family. The difference being it replicates film's response to luminance versus a straight up linear style dissolve. Something that was inherent with the finished effect in the days where they were done on film. Now days, it is a luminance blend that can be done in post as an effect. So try changing it and make notes for the conform artists as to the type of dissolve. The stabilizer would have to be done in Resolve or other product. I suspect Resolve can do it, since it has a tracker, but I am not 100% sure.

Michael

Return to posts index

Melanie Hartmann
on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28:42 pm

Thanks again ;)

Sorry, but I still need help. Now they told me that there are numerous effects in the timeline (i did not saw the sequence yet..).. there is a blend mask, RGB color Correction, Region Stabilize, SpectraMatte, AniMatte.....

I don't think this will work in da vinci, at least not in short time. We just need to conform the trailer with the original material to get the dpx for the vfx.

Now we want to try it with an AVID DS - that should work, right? 4k, mixed cameras, FX.. should be no problem...?:)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 10, 2013 at 3:36:08 pm

Interesting trend to see a conform process be done in editorial for 2K+ type workflows... This is one of the major reasons 4K type support is needed - not so much that finishing is being done with MC for these program types, but to be the conform and delivery of elements for downstream processing - but I digress...

"Should work" is always an interesting term. Certainly Avid DS had the best conform for MC edited sequences, but it still was not 100%, so your mileage may vary depending on effect, keyframes, etc. Camera formats might be a challenge depending on source. I would check with your colorist, but I would ask about keeping any RGB type color corrector effects when delivering as they will redo it anyway.

It would seem to me, that the VFX needs to be conformed first - and usually the plates are delivered with alpha channels so the colorist can have control over each of the layers when needed. Perhaps this is the plan for the actual conform and not the trailer?

I would give DS a try first, but another Windows based product I use is Eyeon Fusion. If you are a "Mac or nothing" type person, then take a look at Autodesk Smoke.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 10, 2013 at 3:05:39 pm

I just did a three event test where there was a standard dissolve between 1 and 2, and a film dissolve between 2 and 3. Exported an AAF and both were conformed in Resolve 10. There was no difference between the two as MC deals with the luminance, but it did conform as expected.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Dec 11, 2013 at 12:34:52 pm

If the OP has the camera original files and the avid sequence why not reconform the sequence in the avid and export with the fx burned in?
You could even round trip the shots to resolve for the grade and finish back in avid. You'll need symphony and the full resolve if you want to go above HD.
Or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 11, 2013 at 1:55:45 pm

The issue is if they want to conform at higher than HD, Resolve cannot recreate all the effects done in the sequence. If HD was adequate for the final master, then they could certainly conform in Media Composer (no symphony needed for this) and send off to Resolve for color correction.

If that is the workflow, then you want to make sure you have all your camera originals conformed without any LUTs or color influencing going on the shots being sent. Also, DNxHD is a Rec.709 codec that can contain full swing of black and white levels, but may not be as robust as going back to RAW sources, or 12 bit LogC 444, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Melanie Hartmann
on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:44:57 pm

We try the DS on friday, will let you know ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]