FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE gig syncing feature footage in Avid - Will be using Pluraleyes. Looking for tips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
AE gig syncing feature footage in Avid - Will be using Pluraleyes. Looking for tips
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:49:19 pm

I'm a Premiere user and needed to do jump to Avid for this job. Never really used it before so I have been doing some brushing up with it and trying to understand its workflow.

I'm going to be getting footage to sync for a feature indie film and was going to be using Pluraleyes. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or things to be aware of for this workflow or how you would personally go about the process.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AE gig syncing feature footage in Avid - Will be using Pluraleyes. Looking for tips
on Dec 7, 2013 at 10:47:55 pm

Why plural eyes? We're they too lazy to do things right and slate each take?

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
Re: AE gig syncing feature footage in Avid - Will be using Pluraleyes. Looking for tips
on Dec 7, 2013 at 10:53:31 pm

No they did have a slate, I'm sure 90% of the shots managed to get a clean slate and sync sound. I just dont feel like going into each clip to mark the in points if Pluraleyes can do it all for me.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:56:29 pm

PluralEyes can do it for you, but the process has additional steps that may or may not save you any time. I find that if there is clean slate and clap, I can sync faster manually than with PluralEyes. I am also gong to assume there is no common timecode between picture and sound elements? You are also aware that the reference track on man camera are not in perfect sync to start with so PluralEyes'd clips will also be off by the same amount?

PluralEyes:

Load picture and sound clips in timeline. If there is TOD of both, you can do an autosequence with option key to create a timeline in ascending timecode order with no gaps.
export AAF
import AAF into PluralEyes
do it's thing
export AAF
Import AAF back into MC
load AAF sequence into timeline
Choose to remove scratch track or not with edit (maybe that's done in PluralEyes, I don't know.
Mark In-Out on every event and create sub-sequence
hiloght all sub-sequences and select Autosync
rename all sub-sequences to proper scene-take
done

Manual Sync:

Load picture clips in source mark in on clap
load sound in source and mark on clap (use source viewer in timeline to see source waveforms)
Select both object in bin
Select AutoSync
done

Advantages of AutoSync from clips (and not sequences) are:

1. If BWF files have been logged with scene/take they carry over and can be used to automatically name clips. See the syncing section of the RED demo at http://www.avid.com/red
2. You have the ability to choose which tracks to keep or remove as part of the operation. For example, keep only the mix track in the .sync clip. The editor can always match frame back in source to the ISO's if needed.

Of course if there is common timecode, then you just select all picture and sound clips and do a batch AutoSync as one operation.

Michael

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:18:54 am

Heya thanks for getting back to me, here's a few other details though that could possibly make a difference in your recommendation. This is shot on 3 cameras, none have timecode, they were older cameras. It needs to be synced and sorted in 2 weeks and I am thinking with that much footage, that much doing it manually with 3 cameras might end up cutting it close, and if I could even cut out 8 hours of time from the process by using Pluraleyes then I'd be happy, but then again I never worked with Avid OR Pluraleyes to sync a feature's worth of footage, so I don't know (I'm a Premiere user with experience on short films and corporate videos))

What is "TOD"?

There are no BWF files, they came out of the Tascam to me with a name structure as : TASCAM_0012s12.wav for example. I know from listening that the takes being announced in the audio have nothing to do with the naming though apparently, so I am going to need to listen and cut them into takes.

I decided against going the AMA linking route and am letting Avid ingest and just make the MXF's. I don't know what system the future editors working on this will be using and I know AMA can be a memory hog.

Also just give more detail, the way this was shot (On older cameras) and transcoded to digital leaves me with huge video files 2 hours long that contain all of the scenes shot on that tape which maybe be over multiple days. They aren't like normal where you would have multiple shorter clips of each take per scene. Soooo yeah, I need to go through each long video file, clip out each take for each scene and then find which audio file to use off the Tascam, toss them all in a timeline and then... What do I do from there assuming NOT using Pluraleyes? I'm guessing mark in points where the slate syncs, and then autosync by in point? Now after I do that, if I have the multiple cameras on each track in one timeline, is there any easy way with Avid to then make three separate subclips, one for each camera track, using the synced audio track off the tascam that is in that timeline where all three cams were synced by the inpoint?

Sorry if that's confusing.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:35:43 am

How do you plan on finishing this film?

Michael

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:43:46 am

I know he wants it to hit the festivals and will most likely be wanting to show it online as well.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:30:18 am

[Tom Smith] "What is "TOD"?"

Time of Day.

OLDER cameras...no timecode...then slating is more important than ever.

I don't envy you.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:09:18 am

Me Neither:)

War stories to tell the grandkids for the future though.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 9, 2013 at 8:43:14 pm

Considering the mess you've been handed with and whole days worth of dailies as single clips, you probably are better off with PluralEyes as at least it the return AAF will show you STARTS and STOPS of each take in the audio track... unless the audio is also one big-ass file. ;)

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:16:44 pm

If this is a feature there is NO excuse NOT to slate. Other than utter laziness. Pluraleyes is great when you are in situations where slating is impossible, but a feature set is a controlled environment. People are so used to editorial possibly having access to Pluraleyes, that they don't slate (lazy) and say, "oh, just use Pluraleyes."

I have scolded camera people for this many many times. Assume we don't have it...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:25:25 pm

And propre slating is more than just sync for editorial, especially in feature production. Proper scene/take and other metadata goes a long way to cross reference reports and logging.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]