FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting file to ProRes

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Wheeler
Exporting file to ProRes
on Dec 6, 2013 at 6:20:57 pm

This is a new problem for me. Running Avid Symphony 7.0.2 and have been successfully using this method for months with no issues. Now it's not working. When I export to a quicktime file using "Same As" method. It creates the ProRes HQ file (ProRes HQ mxf Media Creation Settings) and plays as such in QT 7 and QT 10.2.

When you "inspect" the file, it shows it as ProRes HQ, but also has an additional flag of Avid DNxHD in it. When I attempt to load the file to a KiPro, it doesn't see it, likely because of this flag. When I try to load the file in Compressor 4.0.7 and 3.5.3 to re-conform it to ProRes, it comes back with "Codec not Found" error.

I have re-exported out of Avid several ways, using DNxHD media creation to attempt to make it all that way, and it still shows a mixture in the inspector. I have to deliver a show via a KiPro, and cannot, for the first time ever. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Exporting file to ProRes
on Dec 7, 2013 at 1:31:56 am

Do you have a mix of DNX and ProRes in your sequence? If so, using same-as-source would give you a mixed codec.

Do a custom export as ProRes or do a video mixdown to ProRes before exporting.

Return to posts index

Larry Wheeler
on Dec 7, 2013 at 1:43:38 am

Yes! I had color bars in DNxHD. Thank you!!!! I didn't realize that would send it with both in the same file!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 7, 2013 at 2:48:19 pm

It's even better when you have some uncompressed stuff in there and your file ends up being huge :)

Same as source is just that....pass through. No re compression, just rewrapping to
QuickTime..

After thinking about it, my solutions were not the best. It would have been better to transcode the non ProRes material before export. What I suggested would take longer and recompressed the material that was already ProRes. Not a visible quality loss, but unnecessary.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Dec 7, 2013 at 6:24:05 pm

Custom exports to ProRes (and H264 and what not) are not recommended, because they use the QT engine for the transcode, which is both slow and suffers from notorious gamma shifts.

Much better to either transcode or mixdown inside MC (maintaining correct levels and gamma), then exporting same as source. Faster and better.

Return to posts index

Larry Wheeler
on Dec 7, 2013 at 6:54:49 pm

Thanks for all the help! I had a rogue DNxHD file that I added a couple of weeks ago, and that was the clear issue. Sounds like I need to use Mixdown option a bit as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]