FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing Scratch Audio

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zubaer Khan
Replacing Scratch Audio
on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:10:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a bind. I've been away from Avid for years and I've gotten very used to FCP editing, and now I am on a job using Newscutter 10.5 and I am struggling to remember how to do simple edits. I need to replace some scratch audio with a new audio track. Many of the new clips are longer. What is the easiest way to do that? In FCP I'd use the Select All tool, move the files to the right, make the edit and close the gap. Not as easy in Avid. Or so it seems. :-)
Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Replacing Scratch Audio
on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:18:15 pm

I can't keep track of Newscutter version numbering, but if it's from the last 2-3 release cycles, there is a similar function in MC (and should have been inherited by NewsCutter) that does the same thing. They are called "select left" and "select right." By default they are in the top button stip that is part of the timeline.

Again, NewCutter may be different, so look in the command palette as well under the "edit" tab."

Michael

Return to posts index

Zubaer Khan
on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:36:05 pm

Thanks for your response Michael. I tried that out and, while it is very similar in principal to the FCP way of doing it, the execution is a lot slower that I'd like. I've resorted to splicing in the audio, then moving it around till I can get it where it needs to be. Not very efficient either. I assume there a better way that I can address this problem in AVID?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 4, 2013 at 9:58:35 pm

Can the replace edit work? Check out the documentation for its different uses. It's the Blue Arrow key.

Michael

Return to posts index

Zubaer Khan
on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:19:40 am

The Replace Edit tool does not work because the clip lengths are different...unless I'm understanding it wrong. After a lot of searching (apparently this is a common question without a lot of answers), I've come up with the Segment tool. Not at my workstation now, but does that sound correct? Thank you again for your responses!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:38:53 pm

Replace edit uses the record side duration as its marks - so the source can be longer.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]