FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware Recommendations for MC7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guido Passi
Hardware Recommendations for MC7
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:56:13 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm switching from FCP7 to AVID MC7, so I am buying a PC for that. Here is the system spec of what I'm buying from a collegue (who was usinf Premiere CS6):

Motherboard: Asus P6T deluxe
CPU Intel i7 920
12 Gb Ram
Video card: Nvidia 650 Ti

Should I change graphic card and maybe buy the PNY NVIDIA QUADRO 600 (http://www.computercityhw.it/prodotto/5029-pny-vcq600-pb.html), wich probably is the only Quadro I can afford? Or should I try keeping the Nvidia 650 Ti? For what I see (and understand, so not that much) they seem pretty similar ...

Suggestions/experience are welcome, thank you!

Guido

Return to posts index

Carlo Aaron
Re: Hardware Recommendations for MC7
on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:40:40 pm

Hi, I have the same question...
but probably I'll take a new mac pro but anyway I can consider also a PC.
My question is: It's enough to edit a good computer (mac or PC) with fast internal or external disk, or I need something else.
I know, that in the past, in order to use Avid MC was necessary to buy a custom hardware made from Avid...

Thank you!

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Dec 5, 2013 at 12:12:29 am

You want atleast an OS/Programs drive and a media drive. This is the same whether you go PC or Mac. Whether a single media drive, raid, or SSD is required for the media is based on the codec of media you will be dealing with. The overall system configuration should be based on your workflow. Buying a fast HDD without the correct CPU or amount of ram will not give you the editing experience you expect. You need to balance the system.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Dec 5, 2013 at 12:09:28 am

Why are you buying an I7 Gen 1 system? That is 4 years old at this point. The current build for the platform is Ivy-E X79 series. Please look for a x79 board or such as the P9X79 Pro and a 4930K. Or go to the Desktop Z87 Platform with a 4770. The 650Ti will work fine with either of those and Avid. I would suggest atleast 16GB of ram on either of those while 32 on the X79 would be ideal.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 5, 2013 at 12:27:22 am

[Guido Passi] "Should I change graphic card and maybe buy the PNY NVIDIA QUADRO 600, wich probably is the only Quadro I can afford? Or should I try keeping the Nvidia 650 Ti?"

Keep the 650 Ti. You may need to edit a configuration file to enable GPU acceleration with it, but it'll be quite a bit faster than a Quadro 600 where GPU acceleration (and graphics performance in general) is concerned.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]