stereoscopic workflow in MC6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Wirth
stereoscopic workflow in MC6
on Nov 28, 2013 at 4:17:22 pm

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum. My problem is:

we've shot with a 3d panasonic AG-3da1, shots are fine, but in a H264 codec. The avid takes the files, makes the side by side pictures, so far fine. But some of the pictures are in a way corrupt. 90% work fine, others go offline after one time of viewing, others won't play and I get an error message. What did we do: We imported the H264, transformed them into Dnx 120 avid codec, then did the 3d files.
The only codec for stereoscopic projects in MC6 is 25 fps. Our material is shot on 24 fps. My question is: Does MC 7 stereoscopic projects with 24 fps? What other possibilities do I have to transcode the 24fps H264 files into 25fps editing files?
I've got Episode, FCP7, cinema tools.
I guess that the strange behaviour of the 3d files has to do with the 25 - 24 fps of the project and the original files. I can upgrade to MC7 but has the upgrade the possibilty to do a 3d avid project with 24 fps?
thanks

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: stereoscopic workflow in MC6
on Nov 29, 2013 at 2:08:08 am

You should have all the data rates and all the frame rates for stereo 3D as you would have for a standard 2D project. There is nothing new in v7 stereo 3D other than EDLs now work for LEFT and RIGHT eye.

Does your project type match your camera orignal file frame rate?

Michael

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 29, 2013 at 10:09:38 am

Hi Michael,

this is exactly my problem. The original frame rate is 24p (23,97). The Avid project frame rate is 25p. At the moment I'm on MC6 and MC6 doesn't allow a stereoscopic project with 24p.
Any suggestions?

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 29, 2013 at 2:07:24 pm

I would sort out the project frame rate mismatch first, unless you have mixed frame rates for whatever reason and need to be in 25p. If your footage is truly 23.976p. then why the need for 24.000p project type?

All that aside, I can make an S3D project with any project type. Perhaps you need to make new user settings, but once the project is created (regardless of frame rate), and you go to the "Format" TAB of the project window, you are saying you cannot select any of the default S3D views from the menu selection? This puts the project into "S3D" mode enabling the S3D feature set in other parts of the UI.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 29, 2013 at 2:52:53 pm

Hi Michael,

I've got a step further. I made up a 3d project in 1080p 23,98. So far the transcoding of the AVCHD files into Dnx works one to one. I will edit this project in the original shot format.
But I'm in Pal world, so the next project will be shot in 25p. it's less hustle in terms of monitoring. The problem is, that my 3D Monitor is not a professional monitor and has problems with the framerate.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 29, 2013 at 3:14:37 pm

Have you tried any of the full screen playback methods directly from Media Composer? This may alleviate the need for pro monitoring in 3D during the editorial process.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 29, 2013 at 3:30:00 pm

Hi Michael,

I've worked myself around. I've got a professional Class 2 monitor 2D for color correction. Then I've got a cheap 3D monitor over HDMI. I make a downconversion through my Aja LHI on 525i 29,97. It gives me the 3d effect, but the picture is a little soft. The 3d Monitor doesn't like the 23.98 fps.

thank you very much for your input,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved