FORUMS: list search recent posts

Find a sequence using a particular clip?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Brunson
Find a sequence using a particular clip?
on Nov 25, 2013 at 5:29:30 am

I'm assisting on a massive documentary and have a quick Avid question. I know I can get a bin of clips displaying everything I've used in a sequence but can I do the reverse. Can I select a clip a find which sequence or sequences it has been used in?

Now some backstory:

The director is convinced that a former editor cut a 5-10 minute sequence on a particular subject. I know the 3 clips (totaling about 2 hours) that he would have cut them with, but finding the sequence is the equivalent of searching for a needle in a haystack. If I could select a clip and find what sequences it's used in, that would be great. Or, if I'm thinking about this in the wrong way and someone has a good idea, that would be great too. Otherwise, I'll keep on searching.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Find a sequence using a particular clip?
on Nov 25, 2013 at 12:06:14 pm

FIND might help in this scenario if the clip has unique metadata on it like scene/take or otherwise. The FIND will find clips and sequences containing that. But FIND can also be a bit hit and miss and I have't done a whole lot with sequences but will take a look at it.

If you know where your sequences are, as in what bins, you can have the bins open them highlight the clip and do a media relatives. Any sequence that uses that clip will also highlight.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 25, 2013 at 3:41:39 pm

Did a quick test: FIND does not find clip names inside of sequences unless the sequence is loaded and you are only looking into that sequence. So it won't do what you need it to do which is find all sequences containing a clip with "metadata" type search. The UI is a bit misleading in saying clips and sequences. It will only find column metadata associated with the sequence such as name, etc., but not anything within the sequence. A feature request amongst many requests for the FIND feature.

Michael

Return to posts index

Matthew Skeris
on Nov 26, 2013 at 5:55:31 am

Hi, I have an idea and it goes like this;

Make a new bin and set the Bin Display to also Show Reference Clips.

Then open Custom Sift and type the unique Names of two of the three the clip names in the two separate Criterion input fields.

Then go through your Sequence bins haystack and Alt+Drag (to Copy) a Sequence into that Sift-ready bin. This ought to be able to narrow down those Sequences that contain 2 out of 3 of those clips. As long as you copy Sequences into the bin, you can delete them or ignore the
ones that show no results.

I suppose you could also have an additional new bin ready to Sift for that 3rd clip's Name, which would make that Sequence a candidate as it contains all 3 clips.

Seems like a bunch of Alt+drag and dropping, but maybe this is a help.

Or perhaps there are advanced search tools in Avid Interplay or another Avid product that can do this search automatically?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:34:40 pm

You can find a clip in a particular sequence by doing FIND from that sequence. What I believe the original poster is wanting to do is find all sequences that contain that clip. Perhaps Interplay can do that, but the cost of entry for this search function is a little high! ;) The only method is to put all the sequences in their own bins and have them open when doing a "media relatives" selection on the clip.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeremy Brunson
on Nov 26, 2013 at 9:01:15 pm

That's a good idea. Still have to go through all my sequences but it maybe faster.

Thanks.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 26, 2013 at 9:24:36 pm

Media Relatives will tell you which sequences have that clip or clips. Once identified, you can load the sequence and do a FIND for the clip in the sequence.

Michael

Return to posts index

Matthew Skeris
on Nov 29, 2013 at 8:15:19 am

You're welcome, Jeremy. How did it go finding that needle in a haystack? Seems that sorting Sequence copies
by Duration (then disregarding those greater than 10 mins) and Creation Date (disregarding recent ones) would come in handy too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]