FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I capture 1080HD footage into an already started SD project?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Fragola
Can I capture 1080HD footage into an already started SD project?
on Nov 24, 2013 at 6:36:13 am

Hello,
I have a AVID MC6.5 project that was started in SD video (on a Canon XL2 camera in 24p mode) ... and I have quite a bit of it already edited ...
But now I was to add in some sexy, sharp, crisp and detailed HD shots, but I'm not having any luck with the capture tool as I'm just getting all kinds of pop up messages such as "no input signal" (even though my Canon XHA1 is plugged in). Why am I not getting a signal?
I'm baffled.
Is there anyway at all to bring mixed resolutions into a project via the normal capture (just plugging the camera in via firewire)? ... or is just impossible to mix resolutions in the same project?
Any suggestions? And if it is possible, any ideas as to what settings I need to tinker around with?
Thanks so much as I really appreciate anyone who can help.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Can I capture 1080HD footage into an already started SD project?
on Nov 24, 2013 at 7:32:52 am

You can mix resolutions, frame rates, codecs, etc. but for signal based capture, you need to be in a project that matches the format.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Nov 24, 2013 at 3:50:47 pm

Hey Michael,

Thank you very much.

Do you know of any tricks on how to capture 1080/24p footage in AVID MC6.5 (I guess as it's own project??) ... and to then somehow get that footage into my current project that has already been started as an SD 24p project (where a bulk of the already editing content is footage that was shot in SD 24p on a Canon XL2)?

I'm more of a videographer than an editor, so all of these little editing related snags are very confusing ... and I'm trying my hardest to learn as I go along. As (and I know this probably sounds naïve on my part), I was just thinking that the AVID would simply capture the 1080 footage (into this already started SD project) ... but then I could just edit in little segments (cut-aways, etc) where all of a sudden the shot was a much sharper (1080) image.

And just on a quick side note, are there any consumer lever cameras out there that shoot in true full 1080p at true native 24fps? ... and if so, is AVID MC6.5 able to then edit that resolution?

Thanks again for all your help Michael as I really appreciate it.

Dean

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 24, 2013 at 6:11:05 pm

I would probably try 1080p/23.976 first as it 24.000 is pretty specialized and does play that easily with 29.97 environments (NTSC). Once you capture the material, you open the bin into your existing project and carry on from there.

Michael

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Nov 24, 2013 at 11:34:54 am

Just change your project settings to the appropriate HD, then the capture tool will offer hd resolutions dependent on the HD format.

Capture then change back to sd, you can then insert the HD material into an ds timeline.

This works the other way around to import ds into an HD project.

Return to posts index

Sam Lanes
on Nov 24, 2013 at 3:29:58 pm

Alternatively, is it possible to downconvert the HD signal to SD from the camera? I'm not familiar with the interface on that model.

http://www.aefromscratch.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]