FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slip 1 perf question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Ryan
Slip 1 perf question
on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:13:27 pm

So I just learned about the 'Slip 1 Perf' shortcut and I feel like it'd be really useful for matching up audio and video as accurately as possible, the only problem is is that it only works for film projects in Avid, but every project I work on is shot digitally.

Let's say I make a 1080p, 23.976, YCbCR 709 project but clicked the 'Film' option and set the 'Default Film Type' to '35mm, 4 Perf' so that I could use that 'Slip 1 Perf' shortcut, would there be any consequences that would mess me up down the road? Anything I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Slip 1 perf question
on Nov 19, 2013 at 9:31:34 pm

From my blog:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=16

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Zinn
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:29:01 pm

Hi Michael,

I've been searching for days but have still not been able to get to an understandable answer (for me at least) about how to actually go about slipping audio by less than one frame.

I understand the following:
(1) You need the start the project with "Film" checked. (I have done this, and selected 35mm 4 perf.)
(2) You need to autosync and create a subclip
(3) You can only slip on the source side

#1 is fine, but #2 and 3 don't make sense to me, at least for how I am hoping to be able to slip the audio.

I am using a Cannon 5D with separate audio being recorded. I typically use PluralEyes to sync the audio to the video, so I'm usually OK there. However, I work on a lot of documentaries and my goal is to be able to cut the audio at less than one frame increments so I can more seamlessly cut around the subject (i.e. if they mess up what they are saying but I like the beginning of their first take with the end of their second take, it's very hard to cut at the precise inflection points when forced to cut at the frame level).

Not sure if I articulated that very well, but that is more or less my goal. Is there any tutorials you know of out there that can show me how to perform a perf slip?

Thanks as always for your help!

Return to posts index

Dan Zinn
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:41:07 pm

Hi Michael,

I've been searching for days but have still not been able to get to an understandable answer (for me at least) about how to actually go about slipping audio by less than one frame.

I understand the following:
(1) You need the start the project with "Film" checked. (I have done this, and selected 35mm 4 perf.)
(2) You need to autosync and create a subclip
(3) You can only slip on the source side

#1 is fine, but #2 and 3 don't make sense to me, at least for how I am hoping to be able to slip the audio.

I am using a Cannon 5D with separate audio being recorded. I typically use PluralEyes to sync the audio to the video, so I'm usually OK there. However, I work on a lot of documentaries and my goal is to be able to cut the audio at less than one frame increments so I can more seamlessly cut around the subject (i.e. if they mess up what they are saying but I like the beginning of their first take with the end of their second take, it's very hard to cut at the precise inflection points when forced to cut at the frame level).

Not sure if I articulated that very well, but that is more or less my goal. Is there any tutorials you know of out there that can show me how to perform a perf slip?

Thanks as always for your help!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:05:13 am

There is no subframe audio editing in Media Composer in the sequence. As you mention, it can only be done on subclips that start V and A. AMA linked audio or AMA lined Video with audio (as in your original Canon 5D) will also throw up an exception.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Zinn
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:55:12 am

Thanks, Michael. Probably a stupid question, but let's assume I have a subclip with the correct V and A. How do I then go about editing the audio of that subclip?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 9, 2014 at 1:29:54 pm

Assuming the subclip is video from one master clip and audio from another, load the subclip into the source monitor and in your tool paletter you will see a Perf Slip Left/Slip Right button. Put your timeline into source record view, turn on waveforms and you can slide audio in 1/4 frame increments to the left and to the right. But it is a hellish way to think you can edit this way. It's about changing the relationship of the entire clip sync reference, not for removing blips and bloops.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ryan Ewasko
on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:23:29 pm

Hi there,
I really liked your blog post on this topic. one problem I am having is how to actually perform the slip. I understand the concept but don't understand how to actually slip the audio.

I have taken an audio clip and a video clip and autosync them and I get a new clip with .sync suffix.

is there a way to slip the audio within the new clip or do I have to bring the new clip into a timeline to slip the audio?

If I need to bring the new sync clip into a timeline to slip the audio then how do I do that? normally I would engage my overwrite arrow tool and grab the audio and move it but it still only lets me move it from frame to frame.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 15, 2015 at 7:48:49 pm

You load the .sync clip in the source monitor - from there I switch the timeline view to source side, zoom in on the clap area with waveforms on. Then, from the command palette of all the buttons (command/control 3), on the TRIM tab, there is a slip left and slip right button. Clicking these (or mapping them and clicking them), will slip audio 1 perf for each clip in their direction. You will see he waveforms move left or right when you do.

Michael

Return to posts index

Marcus Schmidt
on Jul 11, 2015 at 11:29:57 pm

Hi Michael,

I am an AE working on a 24p Feature-Film with Alexa 2K und Aaton Cantar. We are already on shooting day 6 and my editor is working on a non-film project. Would you expect any problems, if I would create a new project, filmoptions enabled, syncing my subclips via slip perf and move the bins to the editorĀ“s non-film project? Or should I create a new film-project on the editors machine and move the bins and folders from his non-film project? Or should I drop the idea? ;-)

Thank you!
Marcus

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 12, 2015 at 1:33:02 am

As long as the audio you are syncing was imported in a 35mm/4 perf film project, you can slip sync there and use those clips in a non film project with no issues.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 12, 2015 at 10:07:59 pm

There is also this blog on what can be 1/4 frame slip synced or not, depending on how you create the sub/.sync clip:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=163

Michael

Return to posts index

Marcus Schmidt
on Jun 7, 2016 at 5:08:32 pm

@Michael Phillips
Sorry for the delay...I thought I did already.. but THANK YOU SO MUCH for the info!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]