FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL takes a long time to make - MC6.5.3 + EDL Mgr v28.5.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Lucia
EDL takes a long time to make - MC6.5.3 + EDL Mgr v28.5.3
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:41:59 pm
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:51:27 pm

Wow. I've been making EDLs for many years and they've never taken this long. I've only assisted on v4 and now this is my first time using mc6.5.3, so I don't know if that's the issue but it takes over 10 minutes, possibly up to 20 minutes to make an EDL of audio only, A1-4. It is taking forever while "Gathering AAF Dependencies". Then I see it say "exporting AFF" or something like that, then importing AAF... I don't remember this being the case before.

Then every time I change the tracks I want it reloads and I have to wait. I remember being allowed to change whatever tracks I needed then "get sequence" again when I was ready.

This is sooooo annoying. Is there something I can do to speed up this process? Is this normal?

I have already exported AAFs (link media), can I just import those and use them to make the EDL so I don't have to wait for it to seemingly do the same thing again for the EDL?

**Opening my already exported AAF seems to do the trick. Any reason why I should not do this?

One thing on this show is that it used to be on separate systems with no unity and the asst had renamed the media folders to indicate what was in them. Now the show has been started back up and we're on unity shared with other projects in the building. Could this be why it's taking so long to find media info or something?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: EDL takes a long time to make - MC6.5.3 + EDL Mgr v28.5.3
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:07:40 am

I would suggest opening the bin directly from EDL Manager rather than the "send to" which uses AAF. Generating AAF process seems to be the issue in this scenario. I have seen the changing tracks taking a long time - it's a known bug. Still in v7 as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:18:38 am

Hm... what I've always done in the past, albeit on older versions, is "Get Sequence" and it would take a minute then fill in the EDL. So I used that again this time. I don't even know how to "send to", never had to use that. But I haven't had to do this stuff on anything newer than mc4.x.x so I'm behind the times!

What I ended up doing now is opening the AAF I had already exported from within EDL Mgr and that worked quickly. I have never opened a bin from within EDL Mgr, will have to try it, although since I have to make AAFs anyway, it's easy to just use those to give EDL Mgr the info it needs without repeating the time consuming process.

Thanks for your reply!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:23:11 am

Sorry, meant get sequence, and not send to. :)
Just do a command-O from EDL Manager and navigate to bin with sequence. Once selected you will be able to choose whichever sequence from the bin (if more than one). If only one it will auto-select that one.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]