FORUMS: list search recent posts

ANY WAY TO DUPE A PROJECT TO "PAIR IT DOWN" and reorganize?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Heffner
ANY WAY TO DUPE A PROJECT TO "PAIR IT DOWN" and reorganize?
on Nov 18, 2013 at 5:36:11 pm

Hello,
Noob here (to Avid). I've inherited a project and there's redundant organization and way too many bins and folders. I was wondering if there's a way to duplicate a project and open that as my own personal copy and reorganize it, etc. Or, do I, literally, have to start a blank project and import bins one by one (in which case, they would go into the "other bins" folder)? There is no way to make a new, independent copy of the entire project so I can just fly through and delete or move stuff?
Ugh.
I'm also asking because I'm working with a great producer/editor who will want to have a full copy of the project that she can then work out of.
If the only option is to import individual bins, so be it. But I was hoping there was a way to speed this up, since we literally have over 100 bins in this current project. It would also be good have "independent bins" once you've imported them.
I realize I'm not working FCP any longer. In that case, I would just copy the master project and toss it over to whomever wanted it, where they would make it their own, or they would just grab my mast project backup off the server and duplicate it.
Any input/advice appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: ANY WAY TO DUPE A PROJECT TO "PAIR IT DOWN" and reorganize?
on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:17:18 pm

Just zip that one up for archive, and work on the project itself as yours? If you actually want to have a project with your name in it, then it's a NEW project into which you can copy all the bins from the other project.

Michael

Return to posts index

Steve Heffner
on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:10:58 am

Thanks, for the response. I did create a new project. I think it just took me a moment to realize I can only move the sequences out of the bins, but the bins themselves cannot be moved from the "other bins" folder. Which, in Avid world, makes total sense because those bins have to remain project specific. That said, when I am altering these bins in the new project (moving sequences, etc), it does alter the other projects bins, correct? So, I have to be mindful that I'm making copies and not moving stuff?

Thanks for the patience, too, I'm just wrapping my brain around how Avid deals with things, coming from FCP7 land, where, if you copied a project, it was your copy and you could do whatever you wanted with it. So, there's def a learning curve but I am REALLY liking MC.

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:24:07 am

What is this "other bins" folder you mentioned?

Unless you are on mc7 and it's completely different, you can move whatever bins you want out of the project and into any project you like. They are accessible at the finder level. Where as in FCP you can't open the project at the finder level and see what's inside.

You can have your own Avid project and do whatever you like, the bins are not project specific. Unless you are sharing a project over some sort of media share with someone else, then you see whatever bins they make and they see whatever bins you make and if you delete a bin they won't see it anymore either. Is that what you're talking about?

OH!!! I know what you mean about "other bins". Those are bins you open from outside of the project. You can do that but I don't use that for anything important, just if I need to peek or if I opened a bin by accident from somewhere else. I would advise against using that as something regular, just stick to working with bins inside your project, then you'll always know where they are.

Sounds like you just need to get used to sharing a project. It's great! You'll love it. But yes, all the bins need to stay in there if anyone accessing the project needs them. I just make a good folder structure so the bins are filed away by category and you can easily find and access them when you need to. And some of the redundancy you mentioned in your first post may be a good thing. There may be a reason for it.

Also, beware of the lock on the bins if you are indeed sharing a project. If the editor is cutting in a reel that's in a bin you open you should have a red lock light on it. If you do you can't make changes, well you can make them but it won't save. If it asks you if you want to save it as another bin don't do it. Just say no, then option drag the clip you made changes to into a new bin to save your changes. I might be giving you too much other info, if so ignore this for now. When you need it you'll think oh, that's what she was talking about. ;)

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 20, 2013 at 7:32:04 am

WHen in MC if you use the file open bin command and navigate to a bin it lets you open bins outside your project. They are displayed inside the other bins folder to help identify that you don't own them. And yes unless they are locked on a shared storage system you can still make changes (as you'd have to for collaborative working)
SO normally duplicate anything inside a bin and move out the duplicate.

But as said just like FCP you can easily make a copy by just copying the project at finder/explorer level but unlike FCP you can actually step into the project at that level and copy/move bins.

So you have far more power than save as.
And best of all you can just save out copies of bins as backups or to share with other editors (you can copy at finder/explorer level or do a save bin as) and the Avid attic saves backup copies of bins not the whole project making recovery more granular.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:04:20 am

You can make the new project and copy ALL bins into it then work with it the way you would have if you were using the original project. But that seems too easy so I don't think I'm understanding your dilemma.

Also, are you not going to share the project with the editor? They'll be on their own project then you'll pass bins?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 19, 2013 at 9:33:16 am

Always best to make a fresh new project with the same name ( becsuse Avid media is named by project name). Copy at finder/explorer levels any useful bins. Then make a dump bin and copy across all the other masterclips in any other bins. Otherwise a match frame open hin will fail.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Steve Heffner
on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:18:30 am

Pat,
Thank you for the response. Coming from FCP7, I'm just wrapping my head around how MC handles things.
I appreciate your input. I did enough to know, already, that I'd better stick with this master project, for now. I was merely hoping that i could just do something like "save a copy", and that would make it unique. However, I understand why MC is controlling the bins on a project level. And I can live with that. So, until I'm better versed, I'm playing it safe, focusing on the cut and will organize my stuff separately within the project or pare it down after the cut is more evolved.
Again, your response was much appreciated (and helpful, moving forward).
Sincerely,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]