FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid 5.5 - Phantom - F55 workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikaela Shwer
Avid 5.5 - Phantom - F55 workflow
on Nov 18, 2013 at 4:15:54 pm

I am working post at a company on Avid MC 5.5 - the reason they are not updated is they have had issues in the past when upgrading while in the middle of a project.

F55 - I know in later versions of Avid you can AMA link - but what is the best solution to work around this? QT wrap them in a software like Aiseesoft? Is there anything I should be wary of in that process?

Phantom - I was thinking of using Davinci Resolve Lite to transcode the footage to DnxHD mxf files - is there a better workflow? I'm also having issues exporting the aaf from Davinci so that Avid can read the exported mxf file so any guidance on that step by step process is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Robert Monaghan
Re: Avid 5.5 - Phantom - F55 workflow
on Nov 22, 2013 at 9:44:52 am

Hi Mikaela,

As far as the Phantom goes, I now offer an Avid MC plugin for Phantom. It works on Mac at the moment, with a Windows version in a week or two. These can let you transcode to DNxHD.

Unlike the other packages you are referring to, the color will be dead-on and Time Code will match what the camera generated, exactly.

Here is the catch:
The package has only been tested with MC 6.5.x and MC 7.0.x. I am not sure that it would work with MC 5.5.

Another option is our QuickTime component for the Mac. This will also work with MC and should work with the earlier versions like MC5.5. If you AMA link to the Cine file, you should be able to transcode to any flavor of DNxHD that you desire.

The plugins are GPU accelerated and will generate frames as fast as the DNxHD compression engine take them.

You might also be able to use a demo of MC 7.0 to do the transcodes, too. This can hold you over until the facility is able to upgrade their MC seat.

Hope this helps!

Bob.

Robert Monaghan, CEO
Glue Tools LLC
POBox 24124
Santa Barbara, CA, 93121
United States

tel: +1 805 456 7997
fax: +1 805 456 7998

http://www.gluetools.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>