FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need Advice ASAP please! why don't FCP and Avid just talk to each other?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Severino
I need Advice ASAP please! why don't FCP and Avid just talk to each other?
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:21:59 am

This is the first time I have posted on the Avid forum and I am hoping you guys can help me with my issue quickly. I just finished cutting a film together on Final Cut Pro 7. The client wants the project delivered in an Avid MC 7 project. I tried downloading and installing automatic duck and using that to export my FCP project. Turns out that it doesn't work on Avid MC 7. I am hoping and praying that you guys here have some suggestion that I can try that will allow me to import my project into Avid MC 7. Thank you guys!

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad Core
14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.7 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 3 (Clean Instal)
Logic Studio (Clean Instal)
(And now Avid MC 7 Trial)

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: I need Advice ASAP please! why don't FCP and Avid just talk to each other?
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:28:25 am
Last Edited By Richard Sanchez on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:28:50 am

Automatic Duck will really only get over cuts only. Don't expect anything other than the most basic transitions and simple effects like transparency and resizes. I'd assume that Final Cut would export an AAF that Avid will import, but you're still going to need to batch capture or batch import the media, since Final Cut Pro works with Quicktime Media and Avid works with MXF.

Plain and simple, why they don't talk to each other, they're competing products.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:35:56 am

Oh, I did forget to mention that I...
removed all of the transitions, I baked all graphics into independent video clips and all the video files are quicktime ProRes 422 (HQ).

14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.7 (Clean Instal)

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:42:05 am

You mentioned it doesn't work. Can you be more specific? Does it give you an error importing the AAF? Does it create a sequence but all the media is offline?

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 17, 2013 at 1:22:38 am

BorisFX has a product called TransferFCP, which is similar to Automatic Duck, but they still support it..unlike the Duck, which was discontinued long before MC7 came out.

Its not a free product, but the trial is fully functional for 14 days. Worth a shot.

http://www.borisfx.com/AAF/

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Nov 17, 2013 at 2:07:31 am

Thank you guys for the very quick responses. I will try the boris plug in trial. As for automatic duck, I export the AAF from FCP 7 using Automatic duck and go to bring it into Avid. All the media is offline. I try to tell it to link to AMA folder and then try to relink, I still get the error that Avid can't find any of the source media.

14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.7 (Clean Instal)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 17, 2013 at 4:34:32 am

If you used the Duck to also CONVERT the media...which is an option in the EXPORT...and it will take a while. You'll have all the MXF and OMF files where you targetted them to go. But, they won't be in the proper Avid MediaFiles folder structure....that's something you need to manually do.

On the ROOT level of the media drive, make a folder called "Avid MediaFiles" if Avid hasn't done that already. Then in there make one called "MXF" and in there a folder called "1." But all of the converted MXF files into that folder. If you have a bunch of OMFI media, then you need to make a folder on the root level of the Media drive called OMFI...crud...something. Richard, you remember? That's the OLD Avid format.

But then Avid should link to the files. The Duck has a tutorial on their site that explains all of this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Nov 17, 2013 at 8:52:58 pm

If you need to create an OMFI folder structure, the easiest way would be to set your media creation to OMF, and quickly import a still. (Because I can't, off hand remember the structure)

As far as relinking media via AMA, it's a different process from how you relink in FCP. Also keep in mind, the reel metadata that will be embedded in the quicktime file that FCP was using, will not carry over into Avid so relinking by reel name will not work, but you should be able to relink by source file name. In any event, this is a guide I made for a show I worked on. Should give you a decent insight on relinking the footage via AMA.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20021366/01%20Avid%20Workflow%20Docs/Ho...

If it still proves problematic it, do this. Create a bin with only the sequence it. In the hamburger menu in the lower left of the bin, select the "Show Bin View". It will open a window, select "Show reference clips" and deselect "sub clips" so it should only be showing master clips. Highlight those master clips, right-click, and batch import them.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 18, 2013 at 2:57:00 pm

i believe OMFI simply goes in a folder called OMFI MediaFiles Capital M and F are important.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:09:40 am

FWIW, I own the Boris transfer program and it works quite well. The major mistakes seem to show up in clips where speed is altered. I also have Boris Red, which is the non-Avid version of Avid FX, and the transfer program does a nice job of bringing transitions across.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]