FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I use transitions on layers of video without affecting bottom layer?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Pickell
How do I use transitions on layers of video without affecting bottom layer?
on Nov 15, 2013 at 3:48:39 pm

Long-time FCP user currently cutting a program in Media Composer 5.5. So in FCP or Premiere I can stack multiple layers of video and transition off these various elements or between them without affecting the underlying background video. Here's the scenario:

Background graphic image or still frame. Boxes of video on top of it that need to transition between each other to match the narration track. Each video box has an accompanying text image that needs to transition as well. Can I transition between the video elements without affecting the background and if so, how do I do it?

At this point I would just go into After Effects and knock this out in a matter of minutes, but I'm offlining and don't want to create any unnecessary headaches for the online editor. However, that being said, is there a way to send a sequence of shots to After Effects ala XML like FCP that works with the native files? If not, when I export video from AVID does it retain timecode such that I can put burnin on the shots in AE so the online editor can easily match with the full rez shots?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: How do I use transitions on layers of video without affecting bottom layer?
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:49:34 pm

If I understand what you are trying to do, Collapse the video boxes and their accompanying text then step in and do your transitions using the step in button at the bottom of the timeline.

This is similar to nesting in FCP but more robust and not buggy.

Look up collapse in Media composer help for a lengthy explanation.

Avid does export the timecode from recent versions. Old versions of avid do not. Not sure about 5.5.

Automatic Duck Pro Import AE (now free) can import an AAF or OMF from Avid if you want to go that route.

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
Re: How do I use transitions on layers of video without affecting bottom layer?
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:07:05 pm

John,

Thanks for the reply. I've actually done the collapse feature on this already. Collapsed all the elements except for my background and then stepped in to do the transitions, but it still transitions the entire screen.

Thanks for the heads up on Automatic Duck. I actually make sure every edit system I work on has those installed, unfortunately I do not have install privileges on this system and with 70+ seats in the facility I doubt engineering is going to get to it any time soon. After I sent my initial post I realized I can add burnin on export before bringing the clips into AE.

Cheers,
Jamie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]