FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble importing footage into Avid MC7!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Casey Modderno
Trouble importing footage into Avid MC7!
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:39:56 pm

I recently received footage for a documentary I've been hired to edit that was captured in FCP in 2011 as mov files that use an FCP codec and originally shot on HDV tapes. I am editing the documentary in AVID MC7 and have been having several problems, which I'll get to. The footage specs are as follows.

mov codec: MPEG-2 video, Linear PCM, HD (1-1-1)

video information:

HDV 1080i60, 1440 × 1080, 29.97 fps, 25.00 Mbps

Everytime I try to import it directly as an DNxHD, the footage shows up as an entirely green screen.

If I AMA link it to transcode it within MC7, it works, but the last few frames of the previously linked AMA clip always appear at the top of every video - which, naturally, makes me reluctant to handle the footage in that way. For instance, if I importing two clips labeled "tiger CU" and "tiger MS" then the first few frames - anywhere between 3 to 20 - of "tiger MS" will display a close up of a tiger from "tiger CU" before cutting in to the right footage. The end of "tiger MS" will then appear at the beginning of the next clip, and so on for every AMA linked clip. In addition, these frames exhibit a strange artifacting/ degradation that don't appear in the .mov files.

Since I am still getting situated, I feel like I should come up with a solution rather than proceed with this corrupted AMA link, even if it does just affect the first and last few frames of every clip.
In addition, I was originally just going to sort through all AMA linked footage, then do subclips to transcode to save time, but there is so much footage that even just having so many AMA links (even with no current sequences) has bogged down AVID, so that's another reason to prefer a direct import.

The format of my project is 1080i/59.94, color space YCbCR 709 raster dimension 1440x1080.

The weird thing is that the video appears fine in quicktime, but video will not show up in MPEG streamclip.

Are there any programs that could handle this codec/ help me do a smooth transcode to DNxHD? I am very lost, and unfortunately getting my hands on the source media (the original HDV tapes) is not an option.

I really appreciate any and all advice! :)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Trouble importing footage into Avid MC7!
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:54:15 pm

Does Resolve Lite (free) see the footage correctly? If so, you can transcode directly to native MXF/DNxHD codec there.

Michael

Return to posts index

James Casey Modderno
on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:37:22 pm

Thanks for the response Michael.

I'm a little confused. The MOVs are not appearing at all in Resolve Lite, though I am not familiar with the program. Does it handle quicktime files? They are not showing up as an option.

Thanks,
Casey

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:56:17 pm

It should just see them. If you want to send a small sample file for me to look at, use WeTransfer or similar service and email to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

James Casey Modderno
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:03:37 am

Thanks a ton Michael,
Sending over a wetransfer file so you can take a look. Not sure why its not showing up, pretty sure its due to the bizarre codec.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:34:09 am

If the footage is HDV captured in FCP...then only a computer with FCP can view and convert the footage. Apple made HDV and XDCAM codecs that captured in the tapes native format...MPEG-2...so they were lossless. But they also made it so that only computers with FCP could see that footage. Same thing with DVCPRO HD captured via Firewire, or ingested via P2. DVCPRO HD, HDV and XDCAM all need FCP in order to view.

So...either they need to convert the footage to ProRes on their end, or you need to do it on your end with a computer that has FCP 7. Or they need to supply you with the tapes, and you'll need a deck.

Yes, this was stupid of Apple, and why I told many MANY people to keep the camera originals and NOT just the captured media. Because that media isn't viewable without FCP Studio installed.

OR...you can buy COMPRESSOR from the Apple store (if you have a Mac) and that should get you the codecs. No guarantees though...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:42:49 am

I just opened a sample file I was given and had no problem. MC7 AMA, Resolve, etc. My system has MC, FCPx, and Compressor. James only has FCPx so Compressor may be the app needed to install the proper codec in the QuickTime library.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:11:16 am

I didn't see any indication that he has FCX. If he does, it should work. FCX still captures HDV via firewire as HDV.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:54:54 am

That piece of info came in an email exchange when I got the sample file from James.

Michael

Return to posts index

Timothy Lydon
on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:27:16 am

Hello!

I am having the same problem. I shot a bunch of footage on a Canon XHA1 and captured it in FCP. I took all the movie files from my capture scratch folder and dumped them onto another hardrive. I tried to AMA link and import (using Apple Pro Res) these files into AVID but the green screen shows up both cases. Is there anyway I can use this footage in AVID or do I need FCP?

Thanks!

Timothy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]