FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tape name problems!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Ryan
Tape name problems!
on Nov 12, 2013 at 4:48:03 pm

Hey folks,

So after I brought in all the media into the project and organized it all, the editor found dupe detection wasn't working. He looked online and found a work around via changing every tape name to SOURCE (previously it was blank). After that change all the timecodes are bad, with each step moving two or three frames and the frame count going up to 30. I was able to change some of the clips to NEW TAPE and fix the problem, but when I tried to go back in later and do the same thing either NEW TAPE wasn't an option or it is an option but the change doesn't effect the timecode.

What is going on?! Is there any way to get the timecode back to the original?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Tape name problems!
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:45:04 pm

How was the media brought in originally? AMA linked clips with unique Source File and timecode as source should work fine for Dupe Detection.

Look at your "Source File" column and let us know what it says for a handful of clips.

Michael

Return to posts index

Gregory Ryan
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:39:17 pm

The footage was transcoded on set to MXFs, then I 'Media Tooled' it into the project. It worked fine before he changed it to SOURCE, and I know that because I had to put locators at the select takes via timecode from the script notes and if they were off I would have known.

As for the "Source File" column, there is nothing there. That is also the case for footage in my project that isn't a problem.

I setup a dummy project (also dummy ISIS partition) where I brought in all the media and made sure that the TAPE column all didn't say source and it seems to work fine.

Also to note, on the timeline the frame counter runs up to 30 but only has 24fps (skips a few along the way).

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:52:19 pm

Whichever device that is creating these MXF files seems to not be properly created a SOURCE ID in the Tape column as Source File is still only created when importing or AMA linking directly to the file. I find many "DITs" transcoding Avid dailies without any regard for properly setting up REEL to be tracked later for AAF, EDL, relink, etc. I blogged about it and perhaps this is the same issue?

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=24

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]